Can I trim these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
p_00361trimmed.jpg

Planted these 10 years or so ago. I forget what they are - I think a cedar - but they've grown a lot more than the tag said they would which I do remember was maximum height of 6.5 feet.

Anyway, anything to worry about before I go looking for a hedge trimmer? Safe to do? Good or bad time of year to do it? Good or bad way to do it?

Any conifer can be trimmed. The best time to do it is in the spring after they are done pushing off new growth. Just don't cut out the "leader" otherwise it will go all topiary on you.

They will get significantly "fuller' once you start trimming them too...so if you like the "whispy" look that will be a thing of the past.

Reactions: ScotO
Just don't cut out the "leader" otherwise it will go all topiary on you.

What does that mean?

(Hmm, not seeing my picture now for some reason...)

(Ooops, there it is...)

I know you "can" trim them, not sure if you "should"
that is the extent of my gardening knowledge.

What does that mean?

(Hmm, not seeing my picture now for some reason...)

(Ooops, there it is...)

The leader is the "center" branch the comes straight up from the trunk. If you cut it out it will form one or more leaders and go every which way, instead of one leader going straight up.

Those look to me like Arborvitae. You can prune, and they'll probably live, but their form is tough to maintain with pruning.

They stayed at about the height of the railing for a few years, then kaboom over the last couple. There were no branches poking through the step railing this spring. They will get fuller than this with trimming? Darn, how full can a tree get...

This type of tree/bush is known for fast growing and screening ability. If you wanted a bush that stays small then you planted the wrong thing.

This type of tree/bush is known for fast growing and screening ability. If you wanted a bush that stays small then you planted the wrong thing.

I wanted what the tag said on it when I bought it - grows to 6 1/2 feet tall.

Thanks for the input.

Pic just showed up for me. Not what I had pictured but the advise I gave earlier still holds true.

That's arborvitae, but there are many different varieties. Some are dwarf varieties and others are giant varieties. If you planted these 10 years ago they are a dwarf variety, so you're OK there. I will say that I'm not familiar with some hardier varieties you may have up there in the Canada.

Think of it this way...they are too big and are in the way. They either need cut back or removed. I would cut them back with hedge trimmers or some good shears...let them go for a while. If they are get ugly, pull them out and plant something else. Worst case scenario you're out $40 or $50 replacing them. Best case you prune them and they look pretty not bad for 5-10 more years.

Pruning almost any plant will stimulate growth, so once you start pruning you have to keep doing it.

I wasn't sure about the age so just went through pics on my HD. I took one 8 years ago and they were there then and about maybe 1.5 ft. tall (just up to the deck floor). So they're likely not quite 10 years old.

Think I'll start the hedge trimmer lookout.

Neighbor has some of those that were small a very long time ago. Now they are every bit of 40 feet tall! Very ugly, dirty trees. I'm hoping to talk her into letting me "dismember" them this winter or spring. I'll put a nice fence up (and pay the tab) if she lets me get them gone!

I planted about 30 of these in place of a fence. Got tired of trimming them, Some are about 30 Ft tall now.Most are over 20. A few canadian hemlocks mixed in.

Could be a dwarfish variety. Looks like it got to "at least 6 1/2 feet" :)

'at least' - they should have put those words on the tag. It read like that would be its full grown height.

These 30-40 feet stories are killing me here - I'll worry about that in the future. For now they're a reason to get another power tool.

EDIT: Here they were in late fall of 2004. They look innocent enough there - almost dead actually:

Trees%20new%202004_zps573e7e53.jpg

Well that arborvitae certainly got to 6.5 feet.
You can shear it back. It'll look better if done in the Spring.
It'll just grow right back pretty quick though seeking equalibrium with root mass.
Having had 50 year old arborvitaes get to 40 feet and 12 feet wide then the deer decimate them (they don't grow back when foraged to the trunk)
I'd yank it out before the roots got any bigger and plant a pencil holly or tall skinny dwarf alberta spruce (jeans dilly maybe)

I have a dark green very slow growing arborvitae on the side of my house that is now at ten feet and it's time to yank it out and start over.
It did take 30 years to get too big though.

Thanks - sounds like I should get a back up plan ready too for a couple years out. Maybe try transplanting out in the yard somewhere? (Have access to a mini-excavator). If they don't survive it no biggie - although now wondering what the roots are doing is likely a bigger consideration.

Arborvitae are worst than most shrubs but the same hold true. The plant has to put it's growth somewhere. As they mature they get thick and no sunlight gets into the trunk. Not only does it kill the inner leaves it forces the growth up (all the nutrients are going to less leaf area). This is going to be a multiple year pruning project but you have to open it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.