Can I use a wall-vented DV pipe to vent an unsealed gas log?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overhear

Apr 25, 2011
Hi All,

We are renovating a small old house and we are interested putting a gas fireplace of some sort in our very small library. Since have ample heat and a wood stove elsewhere, this fireplace would be strictly for ambiance and wouldn't be used a great deal.

Ideally we would like to use vented gas logs so that we could have an unsealed unit, but we could only accommodate a wall-vent -- not a top vent.

The introductory article on gas logs on this site (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/gas_logs_general_introduction) suggests that it's possible to have an unsealed DV gas log unit, but I checked a few manufacturer sites and did not see that available. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I see. Do ventless logs also generally require a sealed glass enclosure?

It was this paragraph in the Gas Log Introduction post that made me think otherwise:

<<In the past decade, unvented log sets have become extremely popular, and the sales volume is approaching that of the Vented logs. The real revolution occurred when engineers figured out a way to produce a yellow flame with these sets, while still achieving a clean burn. Many folks are curious how you can burn a fuel in the home and have little on no effect on the air quality in the home. The easiest way to understand is to use your Kitchen Gas Range as an example. A range uses a special burner design to achieve a clean, smokeless flame. Unvented gas logs use a similar technology.>>

overhear said:
.... The easiest way to understand is to use your Kitchen Gas Range as an example. A range uses a special burner design to achieve a clean, smokeless flame. Unvented gas logs use a similar technology.>>

That's about the MOST mis-leading example I've EVER heard.
How many times do you hear of people getting themselves KILLED
because the power was out & they tried to heat their homes with
their gas stove? Carbon Monoxide is DEADLY!
If ANYTHING, that should steer you AWAY from house-vented appliances.

Well, not to worry. I may be the only one who's ever read it. :) Now I can stop puzzling over it and go order my gas stove. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.