Can i use my current chimney for a woodburning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolonsito

Oct 19, 2009
nj
HI I live in NJ and am currently thinking of replacing my prefab fireplace with a wood burning stove.
The existing chimney is a triple wall chimney. THere is no insulation other then the air between each wall.
It is and 8" chimney pipe. THe chimney is made b majestic and i see that they still sell it and vermont casting recommends it for their fireplace insert however not for the wood burning stove.
I need to find out if this is considered a class A chimney or how it can be adapted if at all to use with a wood burning stove. PLEASE HELP!
Home construction begins next week and my contractor needs to know what i am doing with the fireplace.
:)
It has the UL sticker on it but does not tell me the max burn temp

It's NOT rated for woodstove temps...
You'll hafta run an insulation wrapped liner all the way down.
The problem stems from the 2" clearance to your fireplace vent...
2" isn't far enuff away from combustibles to be safe with a woodstove/insert.

If I remember correctly, a lot of that class a you're talking about is only rated for 1,700F. You want UL103 HT Class A which is rated for up to 2,100F. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Ok where do i find this insulated liner?
If i run this will it then be safe?
Is this easy to run up the chimney or do i need a pro?
Thanks for your help

I have the same question and dont want to hijack your thread but my fireplace is installed already and it has a double wall pipe and it sounds like I will need a liner also. I am planning to install a Vermont Castings wood burner.

Here is a pick of my chimney pipe looking from where the old fireplace insert used to be up.

Attachments

• 1028091906.jpg
    1028091906.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 215
Thumper, start you're own thread.

I think you'll get more help.

Welcome to the forums !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.