Can I use my hot water coil for a heat zone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cricco

Mar 25, 2008
Western, Ma
My Newmac BC 160 came with a hot water heating coil. I do not use it, but I want to add a finished basement to my home. Could I add baseboard hot water heaters using this coil as the source of the hot water? Would I simply add another zone and pumps?

Yes you could use the coil as a heat zone.But you would need a separate water feed ,reiiejf valve,expansion tank,
And temp pressure gauge also a air purge of some sort.I do this type of set up where I have a steam boiler with a coil
And the customer wants a 2nd zone ei ther baseboard or radiant so it wil work just need a lot more parts than just a pump
And valves.Hope this helps.

Isn't it simpler and less expensive to just add another zone to the boiler? This would require a pump or a zone valve while the DHW coil requires a pump, a charging assembly, pressure relief valve, the expansion hardware and an air removal device.

Status
Not open for further replies.