Can I use this to seal a block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicone caulk will do the job and what most of us use.
This is around the perimeter only.
If you need to seal the block off plate around the liner, use furnace cement for small gaps, and a pc of F/G rope gasket for larger gaps.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Silicone caulk will do the job and what most of us use.
This is around the perimeter only.
If you need to seal the block off plate around the liner, use furnace cement for small gaps, and a pc of F/G rope gasket for larger gaps.
Thanks Hog,
I have a can of the great stuff. Any reason not to use that? It is for the perimeter.

Max temp for Great Stuff is 240 degrees. Not good around a wood stove.

From the MSDS for Great Stuff:

"Do not apply GREAT STUFF™ foam around heaters, high heat lamps or recessed lighting fixtures, radiators, furnaces or ..."

Max temp for Great Stuff is 240 degrees. Not good around a wood stove.

From the MSDS for Great Stuff:

"Do not apply GREAT STUFF™ foam around heaters, high heat lamps or recessed lighting fixtures, radiators, furnaces or ..."
Got it... Thanks.

As BB said, Great Stuff is NOT great for anywhere near a stove or insert.
Stick with the silicone, and you'll be fine.

Great Stuff is quite possibly one of the worst products invented ... in any variety. Its a sticky mess that expands way further than you could ever want.

Come'on now, it's great stuff. I have been clobbered by a clob of it in my hair, not cool. Have to admit, for sealing up penetrations it is great. I am happy that it was invented. My biggest beef with it is that the whole can must be used immediately, you can't just squirt a bit and put the rest on the shelf for later. So I end up finding creative ways to waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.