Can I use Used Firebrick & Pavers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaimes Beam

Sep 15, 2012
Hi,
I recently found several tons of pavers and firebrick. I’d like to replace my
wood stove and chimney (which needs to be replaced) with a masonry stove.

Is this a good idea? Currently we have an old 24″ Vermont Castings Defiant,
with an 8″ flue. We heat a most of our house with it. We keep it burning
pretty good most of the time when it gets real cold. As I understand it, masonry
heaters are only fired a couple of times a day, and let the heat out gradually?
Do I have that right? Will a masonry stove be able to put out enough heat?

Got any sources of designs to look at? My other ideas is to built a Rocket Stove
type design, or something that will burn (dried) wood chips; not pellets, straight
wood chips.

Is there any problem with using pavers and used firebrick? Most of the firebricks
have a little if any mortar on them. The pavers seem to be good newish 'antique' ?clay?
bricks, not the sandy brick they have at Home Depot.

I also have a bunch of these bricks that look kind of firebrick, but they are a little
lighter in color, and a lot lighter in weight, Any idea what they are? Really high temp
bricks? I’m looking for a use for these. Maybe these were for a kiln?

Thanks, Jim.

I hope to have one of those built into a house, I joined this group to learn more about them maybe someone there can help you out

http://www.mha-net.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.