Can I vent an old Jotul 8 into a 16 inch steel chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayHerndon

Sep 23, 2014
California
I want to install a Jotul 8 (1983) on a fireplace hearth and vent up the existing chimney. The existing chimney flue is 16 inch double wall steel pipe. The chimney is interior to the house for one level, and exterior for a second level. 27 feet total. The Jotul has a 7 inch flue exit.

The Jotul manual describes maximum square inches for venting through masonry chimneys, but it does not address maximum square inches for venting through double wall steel chimneys.

Is there a maximum size for venting through steel chimneys? Will too-large a pipe reduce the draft or cause creosote buildup?

I'd rather not re-line the entire 27 feet, unless it is necessary.

Square inches are square inches. The number for the masonry applies to the steel chimney. You will have trouble getting your stove to draft. Once it gets going, it'll probably work fine, with a chimney that high, but getting the draft to start will be a muthah...

Is that 16" inside diameter? If so absolutely not

Just a guess, but this sounds like this may be 12" triple-wall, air-cooled fireplace pipe. If so, it is not rated for wood stove use and is too large anyway. But you can run a 6" liner up it for proper stove installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.