can I wire two aquastats together to opperate one circulator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
I want to control a circulator using two aquastats. Each placed on seperat supply lines, ( one from EKO wood and one from gas secondary). I have two questions.
1- How do I wire them in series to operate the circulator?

2- water will trigger the wood supply aquastat and send power to circulator. That water will then flow through the gas boiler. as it does it will flow across the second aquastat sending a double trigger. I believe if this is in series this works. Anyway I just need to know how to do it.

Thanks

If you want either aquastat to trigger the circulator then they need to be wired parallel. If you wire them in series then both will have to be in the closed position for the circulator to run.

thats right. I had just thought of that. My big concern is would I double power the circulator or burn something up. My mind is working better now and I don't think that is possible. Both aquastats will trigger but it will still be a 110 load and I don't believe anything will back feed and cause a problem.

Thanks for your help.

You are correct as long as both aquastat are fed from the same power source (phase) everything should be fine.

If you have two separate power sources feeding the same pump, you can have phase issues, as muleman noted. Even if you make sure to have both breakers on the same buss at the panel, there is a safety issue if someone shuts down the power to one boiler and doesn't realize that there is a second source for that pump.

It would be better to find a way to bring power from one circuit (choose one or the other) to both aquastats, and then to the pump. Then just label (near the pump) which circuit it is on.

Joe

the ideal solution would be to buy a pilot duty relay, and when a aquastat closed, the relay is operated turning the circulator pump on.

Hit up http://www.functionaldevices.com/ your are looking for whats called a RIB (relay in a box) would run around 40 bucks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.