can LP gas be reused ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltfever

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2011
Middle Tennessee
My son is buying his first home and it has a 500 gal LP tank that is full of fuel. The only thing the owner used gas for was the gas logs. My son has no need or use of all that fuel and going to use the fireplace with a woodstove insert. The question is can all that LP fuel be taken out of that tank and be reused into another tank ?

Attachments

• stephens house 035.JPG
    stephens house 035.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 196
  • stephens house 068.JPG
    stephens house 068.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 176
My son is buying his first home and it has a 500 gal LP tank that is full of fuel. The only thing the owner used gas for was the gas logs. My son has no need or use of all that fuel and going to use the fireplace with a woodstove insert. The question is can all that LP fuel be taken out of that tank and be reused into another tank ?

That sounds like a question for the LP distributor. I've seen people burn them off, but never transfer the gas. Why not use it for a gas grill? Either move the gas line or tee into it & run it to a patio or deck. Beats the heck out of paying for 20lb tank refills or trade-ins & the price will NEVER go up!

Call the distributor and when they take the tank away they should pay you for what is in it. Though that is if they maintain the tank, which it actually looks like its a purchased tank that's been sitting there for ages. You may be out of luck since they can't guarantee the quality of the gas.
I would use it to fill 20lb tanks, or just plumb in a grill. A gas range is pretty nice.

If it's a purchased tank, sell the whole thing oughtright.

Status
Not open for further replies.