can not get my jotel c450 to burn over 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bugsb1 said:
well I am looking for a good liner, any suggestions.. the chimney I beleive is lined with terra cotta would flex piping work or is there something better that anyone can recommend
I have a friend who is a certified sweep. He recommended the Forever Flex liner. It's a quality ss liner and comes with a lifetime warranty. Apparently all ss liners are not created equally and some of the cheaper ones are prone to issues which really shorten their lifespan.

bugsb1 said:
well I am looking for a good liner, any suggestions.. the chimney I beleive is lined with terra cotta would flex piping work or is there something better that anyone can recommend
Check out Chimneyliner Depot they can fix you up with everything you need. PLUS Install a block off plate it will make all the difference in the world. Check out the link on my install of the same stove in my signature. I can easily heat my house with this stove installed in a basement familyroom.

I have a link to a fire starting experiment I did in my C450 in my signature below. I can get mine up to 700+ in 15 mins. Give it a try and let us know what results you get. When I ran wet wood, my stove would sit at 400 stovetop temp, with dry wood, look out!

Regardless of how you slice it, more fire needs more draft. A better flue will give more draft, and dry wood gives more heat therefore more draft.

CleanBurnin said:
I have a link to a fire starting experiment I did in my C450 in my signature below. I can get mine up to 700+ in 15 mins. Give it a try and let us know what results you get. When I ran wet wood, my stove would sit at 400 stovetop temp, with dry wood, look out!

Regardless of how you slice it, more fire needs more draft. A better flue will give more draft, and dry wood gives more heat therefore more draft.

+1 on the wet wood, what an unbelievable difference really seasoned wood makes. Also check out Brent's firestarting link it made all of the difference in the world with mine, great tips on getting your stove to perform.

OK today I put in a 6 inch flex king pro liner with a .5 thick insulation sleave, I sealed the heck out of the blockplate area. my first burn start up was good, burn to get goind was slow it seemed that after I got the flam started with door opened, after I shut it it would die down a little this was after about 45 minutes. Then after 2 it seemed to kick in with a good burn qualities. Tomorrow will be the big test. so far after about 2 hours not really keeping the fire built up the temp was around 420-450 (by the stick on thermometor) Tomorrow I will break out the laser. is the reason for the slow start due to a cold chimney?

Also at the collar of the stove due to our mistake putting the liner in we had to improvise a little connecting the 6 inch pipe to the stove collar. To do this we put 2 cuts in the pipe lifted the flap and fit it around the collar, afterwhich we taped in up and solidified the seal with the tape that came with the insulation (silver reflective tape) My question is would this hold up to the heat? It is wrapped and taped very well around the pipe will it hurt to keep it like this?

Any thoughts and pray that I have luck with the burning gods tomorrow.\

Thanks
Tim

bugsb1 said:
OK today I put in a 6 inch flex king pro liner with a .5 thick insulation sleave, I sealed the heck out of the blockplate area. my first burn start up was good, burn to get goind was slow it seemed that after I got the flam started with door opened, after I shut it it would die down a little this was after about 45 minutes. Then after 2 it seemed to kick in with a good burn qualities. Tomorrow will be the big test. so far after about 2 hours not really keeping the fire built up the temp was around 420-450 (by the stick on thermometor) Tomorrow I will break out the laser. is the reason for the slow start due to a cold chimney?

Also at the collar of the stove due to our mistake putting the liner in we had to improvise a little connecting the 6 inch pipe to the stove collar. To do this we put 2 cuts in the pipe lifted the flap and fit it around the collar, afterwhich we taped in up and solidified the seal with the tape that came with the insulation (silver reflective tape) My question is would this hold up to the heat? It is wrapped and taped very well around the pipe will it hurt to keep it like this?

Any thoughts and pray that I have luck with the burning gods tomorrow.\

Thanks
Tim

The aluminum tape isn't going to live past your first fire. The liner needs to go into the stove collar, not around it. The tape really only holds the insulation in place while you install the liner - I think it's only rated to 80*C or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.