Can OAK get supply air directly from a vented crawl space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
I heard that there might be an issue (code issue) with running the OAK duct right through the floor and into a vented crawl space.... that I might have to run the duct through a wall/foundation penetration to the outside....

Anyone know the real truth here.... Just want to know.

Code is largely local. ICC International Fire Code or other such code is used by most cities and counties, but sometimes with changes. You'd have to call your city or county to get the code for your area.

A glance at a couple of manuals shows outside air kits with the option of drawing from a vented crawlspace. May only be a code violation in some areas. I can't think of why it would be.

Don't think it's a problem. I know that's exactly how highbeam built his setup. Rick

Provided your crawlspace is genuinely vented clear to the outdoors, then yeah - should be fine to do. The Hearthstone Heritage manual says specifically this is permitted.

Not only allowed, but preferred. It is an ideal setup uninfluenced by outside wearther conditions such as wind gusts or piled snow. No kids or leaves are going to block it up. Vents the crawlspace of humid air 24/7/365. Usually a short run which is superior for flow and easier to build.

I made a post earlier this year that had "OAK" and "details" in the title that showed my pics. Mine was inspected and approved, I made it look like the stove's manual. Venting of the vented crawlspace is always adequate for a stove's OAK since a vented crawlspace will surely have a hole at least as big as the OAK tube. A single stem wall vent typically measures more than 6"x12", mine are 24x6 and I only have four. Modern vented crawlspaces use many many vents.

The real truth..... well, who knows what a nasty inspector might try to pull off. My local official loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.