Can old chipped up enamel be removed from a woodsove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyld Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Maine
I have a 80's VC Encore that is blue enameled. It looks terrible & has so broken parts so I was just going to give it away to a buddy of mine for his garage. I was wondering though,..will a sandbalster take this stuff off?? Then I could rebuild it & paint it black.

It can be done. I'd take a pro shop to shot blast it, then follow with a sandblasting. Price out the parts first. The cost might surprise you.

if you sandblast make sure to wipe everything done with acetone first to get all traces of silica off before painting. After you first fire you might see you paint flaking and those are spots that need to be cleaned better and than repainted.

BeGreen said:
It can be done. I'd take a pro shop to shot blast it, then follow with a sandblasting. Price out the parts first. The cost might surprise you.

What is a "pro shop"? What is a "shot blast"?

Yeah I don't think it is worth it. I think I may just give it to my buddy to put in his garage.

Wyld Bill said:
BeGreen said:

What is a "pro shop"? What is a "shot blast"?

Yeah I don't think it is worth it. I think I may just give it to my buddy to put in his garage.

I was quoted $75-$150 to have the Intrepid blasted. I was told $75 for a smaller stove and around $150 for a larger stove.

Wyld Bill, beware. I've had a number of people try to blast porcelain, and it's wicked hard to do properly . I don't know where in Maine you are, but there's a place near Portsmouth NH that's been doing my stove blasting for years and they are AWESOME! If it would help, I can give their info.

I had the enamel blasted off of mine at a professional shop. I'm not sure what media they used. Most of the parts were cleaned down to the iron, but some had enamel left behind. The parts with enamel left on them took the paint just fine. One season later everything still looks great.

Attachments

• Mansfield_02.jpg
    Mansfield_02.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Mansfield_04.jpg
    Mansfield_04.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 116
I would just give it to your buddy. Everytime he gets to work in a warm garage, he'll think of the nice thing you did for him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.