can pellets be burned in a woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I have completely run out of wood that is ready to burn, and am down to burning pallets and cut off peices of 2x4 lumber-

Is there a way to burn pellets in a woodstove?

they will burn, but not efficiently. Go to the local saw mill/ lumber yard and buy some slabs, its the part of the tree they rip to make the trees square for lumber.

Buy big pellets Manufactured logs approved for wood stove usage Home Cheapo and Lowes are discounting them to get rid of them Read Be green's article on them in our wiki section to see which brands work best and to s use them right don't load the stove up with them try only a couple at once to find how they run

In your case manufactured logs will be the ticket

Yup...It's called COAL...lol

Stick to them pallets...good exercise.

njtomatoguy said:
I have completely run out of wood that is ready to burn, and am down to burning pallets and cut off peices of 2x4 lumber-

looks like there are couple of threads on manufactured logs, reading the BeGreen review below:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Northern_Idaho_Energy_Logs/

so I have to ask, what's the connection with nj tomatoes, and yep I agree they are the best I've ever tasted . . I used to pick them up en route to the shore at drive-by stands

stoveguy2esw said:
check out this product from the makers of energex pelets http://www.energex.com/common/product_prometheus.php

this is designed to allow pellets to be burned in a woodstove , and is tested and approved,

There's a guy in Canada that used SS cylinders drilled around the side and the bottom that he stood on 1/2 inch legs and burned pellets. A few years back I tried to buy some, 6 or so. Lost Internet contact. I think the idea is sound. enclose the pellets and provide a heated container, add cool air on the outside and draw it to the center by convection. Would burn well, if you generated enough air draw. Thought one cylinder would not work, but three or four would create the necessary air draw.

Problem is, you are spending a lot of money for dooh-dahhs. A wood burner is a wood burner, if pellets were $85.00 a ton, we'd all try to burn them. That's not the case.

Better to suck it in and buy what you need for the rest of the season from a wood seller and take your lumps for innacurate planning. Not casting blame. Had to buy a half ton of pellets recently for this year. Next year plan on an extra cord of so over what you used this year.

UncleRich said:
stoveguy2esw said:
check out this product from the makers of energex pelets http://www.energex.com/common/product_prometheus.php

this is designed to allow pellets to be burned in a woodstove , and is tested and approved,

There's a guy in Canada that used SS cylinders drilled around the side and the bottom that he stood on 1/2 inch legs and burned pellets. A few years back I tried to buy some, 6 or so. Lost Internet contact. I think the idea is sound. enclose the pellets and provide a heated container, add cool air on the outside and draw it to the center by convection. Would burn well, if you generated enough air draw. Thought one cylinder would not work, but three or four would create the necessary air draw.

Problem is, you are spending a lot of money for dooh-dahhs. A wood burner is a wood burner, if pellets were $85.00 a ton, we'd all try to burn them. That's not the case.

Better to suck it in and buy what you need for the rest of the season from a wood seller and take your lumps for innacurate planning. Not casting blame. Had to buy a half ton of pellets recently for this year. Next year plan on an extra cord of so over what you used this year.

i agree rich, i wouldnt get into this thing if i had a wood supply in seasoned cordwood, but the poster asked the question and bruce lisle (energex) had told me about this thing so i figured it would answer the question. i have no data from personal use, but i know bruce and his product line and if he says it works i believe him (just how i am) personally , if ya wanna burn pellets , get a pellet stove, if ya want cordwood , burn a woodstove, its a nice accessory, but i would not think it to be the replacement for seasoned cordwood

The firewood replacement product of choice is the energy log style compressed sawdust logs. I have tried a couple of brands and really prefer cordwood. If that is not an option then the compressed logs will sort of work. I had a hard time getting long productive burns out of them. Some would burn hot and fast and the other was long and cold. I was able to buy a cord just yesterday of pretty dry firewood from craigslist.

Thanks for all the input-

I am going to break down and buy a cord from a garden center- now shopping prices

Churchie- Tomatoes are a hobby for me- i bought my house with the condition that I was able to remove some grass in the backyard to look at the soil. Last year was ok- but 2 years ago was the best year I've had in about 10.. I'll have to dig up some pics..

njtomatoguy said:
Thanks for all the input-

I am going to break down and buy a cord from a garden center- now shopping prices

Churchie- Tomatoes are a hobby for me- i bought my house with the condition that I was able to remove some grass in the backyard to look at the soil. Last year was ok- but 2 years ago was the best year I've had in about 10.. I'll have to dig up some pics..

I have a huge brick patio back of house (which faces south), I've wanted to stick some self supporting tomatoes in big pots on it, I might send a PM for a tip or two (or post something in green room), Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.