can someone explain how a barometric dampner works in relationship to heat output?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lime4x4

Nov 18, 2005
Northeast Pa
Have a harman coal stoker that is vented into a 40' 6" flexible ss liner. I have magnetic stove thermometer in the stove and a probe thermometer inserted in the flu pipe about 2 feet away from the stove.The stove is connected to the ss liner by 8" of stove pipe off the stove then the barometeric dampner then a 90 Degree elbow then 4 feet of stove pipe.i've noticed with the barometric dampner closed the flue temp is around 100 degrees less then the stove temp.If i fully open the barometric dampner i can lower the temp of the flue by almost 100 degrees but the stove temp doesn't increase.I thought as th dampner opens and takes in room air the stove should get hotter cause your not sending all that heat up the flue..Is my thinking flawed yet once again...lol

You could also think of it as most of the air is being pulled from the room and not through the stove therefore the fire would decrease. If you slow the draft down in a coal or wood stove with the stove damper, the fire decreases and is not as hot, and essentially you are doing the same by opening the barametric damper.

I had outlined it before for you but basically the more weight one adds it increases draft lessen the weight lessen the draft.

Others increase of decrease with sliding or re-positioning the weight Still others increase and decrease adjusting the weight in or out. I would havr to know the brand and model to figure it out then again you should be able to do a web search and get instructions as well

elk i understand that part.if the dampner opens it creates less draft in the flue due to temp difference.i was wondering If when it opens fully the flue temp drops by 100 degrees where is that heat going then?
My brother inlaw has reading coal stoker that is power vented.if he opens his barometric dampner fully within 5 min his stove surface temp has risen 50 degrees with my stove it doesn't make a difference wether the dampner is closed or open in relationship to stove surface temp

Status
Not open for further replies.