Can someone explain these requirements to me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
These are the hearth requirements for the Osburn 1600 insert that I got.

Install only on a non-combustible hearth raised 3" (75mm) above the floor, unless the
floor is protected by a UL listed “Hearth Shield†floor protector, in which case the
hearth can be level with the floor. In all cases, any combustible flooring within 18"
(457mm) to the front of the body of the unit must be protected by non-combustible
material.

I have no idea what a "hearth shield" is. Is this just saying that if my hearth is flush I need 18" of non-combustible protection?

I'm seeing a bit more specific information for the 1600i. Maybe they have updated the docs? If the hearth is flush, it needs protect 16" in front of the glass. The protection needs to have an R value of 1.0. A hearth shield means a hearth extension pad. Yoder makes these for example.

Here is what the current manual says:
IMPORTANT: The masonry hearth should be at least 4 inches (102mm) higher than
the combustible floor in front of it. If the hearth elevation is lower than 4 inches, the
non-combustible floor protector in front of the insert should have an R value equal or
greater than 1.00.

I think I will call Osburn on Monday and see if there is a difference. If not I'll build to the better requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.