Can someone help me with my type of Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Jan 31, 2007
I mean, does it cater for secondary burn? Can anyone help me out with the flue dampening screw adjustment on the 'top' picture? Are there any features of my stove that I don't know about?

The specifications of my stove are in my signature and the picture is in my avatar.
When they came to install it the manual didn't arrive. The dealertold me he'd email Bronpi of Spain for the manual if he didn't find it in the store, because not many people ask him for the manual. And I don't blame him. As I previously pointed out, I live in Malta and the lowest ever temperature here was 6 degrees centigrade so we never had freezing temperatures. We have a higher utility rates than the US but then the cost to buy good wood to burn is less economical than the utility rates. Not surprisingly there are very few wood-burning stoves in Malta. I got one only because I burn pallet wood which I get for free, and I do so very carefully as well.

Here are some close-up pictures of my insert so that you get the idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 390
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 390
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 405
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 365
What is the help needed with the flue damper screw adjustment? From the pictures, it seems like the damper is probably a slide mechanism. Do you think its out of adjustment?

To answer your other question.... yes and no.... from you pictures, it doesn't look like your stove is made to, lets say "enhance" secondary burn, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't happening in your stove at some level. To oversimplify it, the secondary burn is the "reburning" of the "smoke", gas, particulates that would otherwise go up the flue. It's done largely for 2 reasons - 1)additional heat and increased efficiency and 2)reduction of pollutants in the air.

There's a few technologies/designs used to achieve this, but unless I'm missing something in the pictures, I don't see it in yours - maybe there's something I'm not familiar with... The manual should help explain.

Looking at the pictures some more... not sure how air is getting into the stove..... anybody have a guess? I don't thing it gets in through the bottom grates, and at the top... isn't that just a damper assembly???

Harley looks like a bottom air feed. IS it a multi fuel stove? It appears to have no secondary burn technology we are acustom to here
probably some air inlet lever and the damper lever a lot like our air tight 1980's stoves now if one learns how to het it hot enough nott overfire but hot closing the air and damper will hold smoke in longer and burn some off Harley also note no bafflet or any mechonism to lenght the smake path It looks like just straight up controled only by the damper opening..

I mean I guessing from the pictures. I see no bafflet plate no secondary burn tubes and no path for secondary burn chamber

This looks like a fairly standard updraft design....I'd guess the air comes in under the grate....or possible through some channels and into both sides. That part should be easy to trace.

Although these designs are not super-clean like modern EPA stoves, chances are that it will work fine. That is a pretty big stove for Spain - about 50,000 BTU. The damper mechanism looks like a simple bypass - so the unit will smoke less when loading and starting (flap open) and then burn more efficiently when the flap is closed.

Harley said:
What is the help needed with the flue damper screw adjustment? From the pictures, it seems like the damper is probably a slide mechanism. Do you think its out of adjustment?

It's better illustrated with pictures. When the door is open the damper is open. You can see in the first picture that shiny small knob. It shows only because the door is open.

When you close the door that knob gets pressed and yes it's a slide mechanism which shuts the damper.

However, the whole thing is adjustble.

In the second picture you can see that I can screw the knob in or out and that will determine how open the flap of the damper remains when I close the stove door.

My question would be how can I determine the best adjustment for it?

Thanks for your help and apologies if I wasn't very clear.

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 333
Starter no one here has that stove and we would be hard pressed to give you that advice You will have to wait for your manual or can you goggle you stove and down load one?

In one of the other threads, Starter mentioned that she had an "automatic" damper that was opened by a pin in the door mechanism, so that the damper opened when she opened the door for reloading. It looks to me like that is what that mechanism up at the top of the interior does. It looks like the rod is attatched to the top of that flap, so that when the rod gets pushed in by the door, it closes the damper. The smoke then has to go forward around the box to enter that hole where the rod is going into the box

Presumably there is some sort of airwash over the door, and it would look to me like that airwash might give whatever secondary burn the stove has, plus possibly "rolling" the smoke back down through the flames.

This is just guessing on my part, but if true, seems like a fairly slick setup. If I was to guess (and it is PURELY a guess) I would think that the knob should be adjusted so that when the stove door is closed, that bypass damper is also closed as far as it will go.

I haven't tried Googling it, but the Bronpi website that Starter has pointed to as the manufacturer of her stove is pretty worthless - it has pictures of their stoves, and that is IT - no manuals, no tech specs, or anything else that I could find - though it did manage to crash my browser :mad:

Hopefully her dealer can get her the manual.

Gooserider

From what I can see and what I have had translated from the Spanish Bronpi site, the stove does not have secondary burn. Early on I suggested northern European units for more efficient burn, but they weren't offered by this dealer I guess.

There appears to be an air inlet on each side of the ash pan (?), under the firebox.

Webmaster said:
....I'd guess the air comes in under the grate.....

That's what I was thinking.... it doesn't look like there's a lot of room under the grate.... would that lead to have to clean that out an awful lot in order to keep the air channels open? I'd almost think after the first fire goes out, ash fall in there, blocking air, and it would be a pain to get the next fire going due to lack of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.