can someone look at this diagram?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
here it is http://www.aeshearthplace.com/Portals/0/docs/harman/SFBoilerManual.pdf

i'm not trying to be of the plumbing challenged, but the diagram they show for hooking this up in series, just doesnt make any sense to me. my setup will be excactly as mentioned in the paragraph, dhw coil in the existing oil burner, and i only have one zone.

fyi - seems as though the install manual is missing page3, which may or may not be the reason i dont understand this.

It's pretty basic. What don't you understand?

You'll need some flow control valves or integral flow checks in your pumps to make it work right. There are a couple of other minor details that this diagram ignores, but it should work pretty much as shown, I think.

i thought in a series setup the water would flow out of the wood boiler, then into the inlet of the oil boiler, then out of the oil boiler to the radiators. return would come back into the cold side of the wood boiler. if that is what is happening in that diagram, i dont see it.

i'm trying to figure this diagram out first, before getting into the hot water return for boiler protection, which i take it that is one of the "minor details" this diagram leaves out?

You're right--that doesn't look like it will work as shown. You might get away with a tee off the return inlet if you put it right at the inlet, but the supply should go into a separate tapping in the existing oil boiler if possible. Otherwise, as you point out, there's no way to heat the coil. I don't see any reference to this being a serial piping arrangement, but I haven't read it very carefully.

Return water protection is not a minor detail, but it's important. I was referring to things like the positioning of the air scoop and the lack of a drain tube on the pressure relief valve, apparent lack of flow controls, etc.

Do you have a place to screw a supply line from the wood boiler into the oil unit? I like to go into the top, but some people prefer the bottom.

eric - thanks for the replys. i am actually still in pre-purchase mode with this. i am about 90% sure i am going to go with this model, i just have to get everybody else on board with me, (chimney buddy, plumber buddy) and at least have something to give my plumber buddy to look over before i finally make the purchase. i dont think he has done one yet, but he did some really interesting things with a friends owb - pretty cool stuff.

i'm not doing the plumbing, so i just want to understand the concept, you know...a little knowledge is a bad thing...haha.

air scoop? what is that?

i research stuff to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.