Can someone PLEASE help me? Broken door glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stacked

Jan 21, 2008
Ogdensburg, NY
I have no idea where to post this. My DH comes to this forum quite a bit & since I see him here, I thought I'd come here for help. I really am not sure where else to go at going on 2 am LOL. Anyway, he's military & off for some schooling & here I am stuck in a bit of a predicament. I'm generally capable of taking care of the home heating all by my lonesome, but today I managed to make a bit of a "boo boo" of it & I'm not sure how to go about fixing it & I'm also not sure what can be done safely in the meantime.

Yes, I am thoroughly embarrassed. In the midst of being tired I managed to break the glass of the insert. I'm trying to figure out a few things:

Is it safe to burn at all or should I just let the fire burn out totally?

When I go to the hearth store do I need to bring the door to them for the glass to be replaced or just the make/model of the insert?

Is this something I can fix myself or will they need to do it? (I'm not so much a DIY person but I can follow directions if it's broken down)

Anything else you think I should know?

I've been helping with the wood heating for a few years now & this is the first time I've done something so ridiculous. I'm pretty irritated with myself right now. I appreciate any help!! DH said ya'll are rather helpful on the forum here, so this is the first place I thought to come to.

I would not burn it without the glass. You'll have no way of keeping the insert from over firing. Many doors just lift off their hinges. If that's the case with your insert, I would take them the whole door. Tell them the same story and they will probably put the glass in it for you.

Here is a picture of the damage

glass001.gif

I broke it when I put in the wood. I had a piece that I guess just was a tad too big & when I shut the door it must have cracked the front. I still can't figure it out because when I opened the door I couldn't even see where the wood was sticking out or too big. I'm always so careful about that. The glass didn't fall out anywhere - it's still in the door but it's def very cracked in several spots. I let the fire burn out & haven't started it again this morning. I just have electric space heaters in that section of the house - to my dismay - and the wood burner going in the back of the house for heat this morning. I'm waiting on the day to start to that I can call around to the two hearth stores that I know of within an hour or two & see if they are open on a Sun.

Call some glass shops too. Ask if they have Pyroceram ceramic glass. Take the door with the glass still in it for measuring the glass. If you take the glass out it may fall apart making measurement more difficult.

Don't feel bad. Lots of people break stove door glass.

My best advice to you would be to call the stove shop and make sure they have the glass, and can have it ready for you. Then take the door there and have them replace the glass while you wait, return home and you are done.

You've gotten some good advice. Just wanted to see how you are making out? A glass shop may be a lil less expensive to have them supply & replace the glass.
Otherwise, call the local dealers that sell your brand of stove and get pricing from them. No one mentioned this, but the ceramic glass for these is not cheap. So be prepared for a fairly large boo boo cost. Don't feel bad though, it happens, the glass is replaceable cause it happens. And when its all fixed up, its a learning experience behind you. Good luck and keep us posted.

BrotherBart said:
Call some glass shops too. Ask if they have Pyroceram ceramic glass. Take the door with the glass still in it for measuring the glass. If you take the glass out it may fall apart making measurement more difficult.

Don't feel bad. Lots of people break stove door glass.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try more tomorrow. I've called everyone today & nothing is open. I guess it's the holiday.

Hogwildz said:
You've gotten some good advice. Just wanted to see how you are making out? A glass shop may be a lil less expensive to have them supply & replace the glass.
Otherwise, call the local dealers that sell your brand of stove and get pricing from them. No one mentioned this, but the ceramic glass for these is not cheap. So be prepared for a fairly large boo boo cost. Don't feel bad though, it happens, the glass is replaceable cause it happens. And when its all fixed up, its a learning experience behind you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hmmm can you define fairly expensive?

I was thinkin', if ya call a stove shop that sells your brand/model, and they don't have the glass in stock, they might offer to order it for you, which could take some time to come in. I'd then ask 'em if they have your exact model in stock, and seein' how it's cold as all get out, would it be possible to take the glass out of the door of the stocked stove so I could get back to wood burnin', you know, cry the blues to 'em if ya have to!

I've thought on a couple occasions that my glass had broken, been lucky so far, see, side load Jotul is probably safer, but every now and then I'll lose control of a hunk on the way in and it'll hit the glass there, sheesh, that's scary.

stacked said:
Hogwildz said:

Hmmm can you define fairly expensive?

Kids have off for school for Martin Luther King day. I didn't know businesses gave of for it also. Keep trying, someone has to be open.

I looked up a price for mine online at http://www.onedayglass.com look under Neoceram Glass, think it was about $185.00. Just for the glass. I am sure I can get it locally cheaper. I doubt having the glass co. install should be all that much. But I could be wrong.

I've been calling around everywhere & just having zero luck. I'm just thinking it's b/c we live in small townville, middle of nowhere... everything is just closed. Hopefully I will have better luck with it tomorrow.

I'm hoping someone either has it in stock tomorrow or they are able to cut the right size at a glass company.

That price didn't scare me as much I was expecting lol. Thanks.

I'll practice crying on cue J/K & I'll have the little ones with me in case they have something on display haha. I have two real young boys. LOL If anything they'll just want me to hurry up and leave the store so they don't mess anything up.

stacked said:
I've been calling around everywhere & just having zero luck. I'm just thinking it's b/c we live in small townville, middle of nowhere... everything is just closed. Hopefully I will have better luck with it tomorrow.

I'm hoping someone either has it in stock tomorrow or they are able to cut the right size at a glass company.

I'll practice crying on cue J/K & I'll have the little ones with me in case they have something on display haha. I have two real young boys. LOL If anything they'll just want me to hurry up and leave the store so they don't mess anything up.

Ah a woman and her tears can obtain the world LOL.
Call the site I gave you also, and see what they quote you. And ask what install usually runs, At least it will give you an idea.

Ya, definitely take the boys, and let 'em run around, you'll have your glass in no time :)

I think Hogwildz is right, check out the local glass guys and see if they can do it for ya, most likely would be the cheapest if they have that Neoceram in stock....

stacked said:

If stove shop has to order it anyway, you might want to try directly to the source:
http://www.robaxglass.com/order.htm

Thanks everyone! I finally was able to get hold of someone at a local hearth store that happened to just be in doing some paperwork. He gave me the number to a glass store that was down the road. He didn't have anything in stock, but a chain reaction occurred & I was put in contact with someone else & so forth... so, alas, I talked to someone & told him the story, that it was my only heating source... and so the story goes that I'll be unhinging the door & lugging it into his shop late this afternoon. I'm pretty pleased!

I think I'd have been lost without you all!

And one last question ~ Is there anything special that needs to be done since it will be new glass? I know when we've had new stoves we've had to cure them & all that. It may sound silly asking, but does glass need any special treatment when new? My DH is not here to guide me & the last thing I want to do is call the glass shop AGAIN tomorrow! He may appreciate the business but my checkbook will not! Haha.

Thanks again! I'm sure my DH will really love these posts when he sees them.

No curing of glass is needed that I know of. Just fire it up and get warm.
OH, and make sure your splits don't stick out further then the opening! ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Hogwildz said:
No curing of glass is needed that I know of. Just fire it up and get warm.
OH, and make sure your splits don't stick out further then the opening! ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Oh so the wood ISN'T supposed to stick out when you close the door? Gosh, I've been wrong about it this whole time. I thought it was good luck or something. LOL

Haha. Yeah, that was too easy, I know.

Thanks! I just wanted to be sure. I don't want to mess up the new glass. I'm sure DH will love poking fun at me for this one. I'll never live it down. Maybe by the time he comes back this post will be good & buried in the forum somewhere & I can convince him I've just learned to burn so well that the glass is crystal clear. Yeah right.

stacked said:
Thanks everyone! I finally was able to get hold of someone at a local hearth store that happened to just be in doing some paperwork. He gave me the number to a glass store that was down the road. He didn't have anything in stock, but a chain reaction occurred & I was put in contact with someone else & so forth... so, alas, I talked to someone & told him the story, that it was my only heating source... and so the story goes that I'll be unhinging the door & lugging it into his shop late this afternoon. I'm pretty pleased!

I think I'd have been lost without you all!

And one last question ~ Is there anything special that needs to be done since it will be new glass? I know when we've had new stoves we've had to cure them & all that. It may sound silly asking, but does glass need any special treatment when new? My DH is not here to guide me & the last thing I want to do is call the glass shop AGAIN tomorrow! He may appreciate the business but my checkbook will not! Haha.

Thanks again! I'm sure my DH will really love these posts when he sees them.

One thing he may notice, if the stove now has Neoceram in it, the galss has a slight amber tint. The Robax is clear.
Don't worry, your secret is safe with us............... *grins*

Webmaster said:
Make certain that the shop (or you) does not tighten the clips too much (the clips that hold the glass in)....and make certain there is room for the glass to expand around it, etc. - a tightly fit piece will bust on the first fire.

Great point. I'll watch out for this. He said he'll do the install for me. I assume he'd be aware of this since he said he does stoves regularly, but I'll be sure to watch for it. It *looks* fairly easy to put in when I glanced at it, but I'll leave it to him to do as he said he'd pop it in there & I'm not the most graceful person on this earth, but it's something I'll double check. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

Good thing this forum is here. I might think twice about making jokes about my hubby checking in here so much now. Haha.

Not if it is ceramic glass; but make sure to discuss it with the glass shop to be sure to see if they have any recommendations for their specific product

Krystyna, what's you hubby's handle on the forum? We'll have to give him grief about leaving you all alone in the wilderness in the middle of winter. :)

BeGreen said:
Krystyna, what's you hubby's handle on the forum? We'll have to give him grief about leaving you all alone in the wilderness in the middle of winter. :)

Ruh-roh. Is this the part where I get into trouble for outing him?

His handle is Moose. He didn't run off & leave me to fend for myself though so no real grief please. Haha. Not like I'm in a stick made tent in the backyard. LMAO. He left for work stuff.

We love our middle of nowhere.

Sounds like he is a lucky guy to have a resourceful partner with a sense of humor. Especially one that minds the stove and the farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.