Can someone tell me how much these Fisher doors weigh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Should be for 17" wide X 10 1/2" high opening.

This would be the size for Grandma, Insert, Goldilocks, and Teddy Bears.

All the doors I've seen with air intake holes cast in them, with threads in center piece are similar to this;
Papa 4.jpg

Never saw one drilled with multiple holes for intake air which is far less than square inch opening in casting.

The only solid door I know of is Goldilocks. That's what it looks like to me. They were drilled and tapped with one hole in each door for half inch threaded bolt. This bolt was screwed through draft cap from outside, and nutted behind the cap to prevent bolt from turning in cap. They did not get air through the door. Turning the LEFT door cap clockwise spins the long bolt mounted in the cap through the door, pushing the air intake door flap inside the stove open. This was called the Bear-O-Matic patented draft control. The right draft cap was bolted solid to the door and does not turn.
A few people bought the stove used and tried to make them work in conventional housing with pedestal base sitting directly on floor. This draft control allows intake air up through the base, through a hole in the floor for outdoor fresh air in mobile home use. When the stove didn't work, they tried everything to get it to burn, and finally drilled a series of holes in the door behind the cap to allow air in like other Fisher Stoves that use indoor air. I saw this post years ago on another website and responded telling them they only needed to RAISE the stove 1 inch off the floor or set the base on bricks to allow air up through the pedestal base.
I was too late. They had their doors drilled at machine shops, and I advised them to remove the mobile home labels since they ruined a good mobile home certified stove. They were advising people " if anyone else comes up with one of these phony Fisher Goldilocks, just have the doors drilled" ! Shortly after, I started the Everything Fisher thread on this site to educate the public on what appeared to be a much forgotten stove line.
Below is Goldilocks solid doors. When draft caps are removed they have the raised circles like the ones for free.
Can't go by foundry markings. Some Goldi's have M1, others have MH for "Mobile Home".

Bear-O-Matic air control.jpg

That's just my guess !
I can weigh a set to let you know.

Hey Coaly, thanks for that. I was wondering about the drilled holes myself. If it isn't too much trouble, weighing a door would be awesome; thanks.

25 lbs. each.
If these did come off an Insert, there'a a possibility the fabricator ran out of Grandma doors, and the Goldilocks taking the same size could have been drilled to make work. Sometimes whatever it took to get a stove out the door was done.

Reactions: Dune
Here's the door comparison pic I was looking for that shows a solid Goldilocks on the far right !
Notice how the shape of air intake varies;

Doors 3.JPG

Doors 1.JPG

Sadly, these never made it on a stove. Left overs at end of production.

Status
Not open for further replies.