can someone tell me what these pipes are.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakester

Apr 3, 2013
cincinnati
We've recently purchased a 30 year old home. As you can see from the picture, there are pipes in the back with a "pully" in one and gas pipe in front. We are clueless as to what the pipes are and how/where to put a grate to build a fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 273
I have been burning wood for 40 years, have been to two goat ropings and a world's fair and have no clue what that is.

But welcome to the Forum. Somebody here will know.

I have no idea but can guess. Turbo charged air intake? If you pull or push on that "pully" does it open and close an outside air flap?

I have no idea but can guess. Turbo charged air intake? If you pull or push on that "pully" does it open and close an outside air flap?

Yes, the pully does open and close an outside air flap. Do you know how it works and have thoughts of where to put the grate? The pipes as well as the gas pipe are about 5 inches high. The fireplace is 24 inches deep. The pipes come out 5 inches and the gas pipe 15 from the back. I've never seen a gas pipe that high? Also seems like the gas pipe is too close to the front of the fireplace. It appears to be original to when the fireplace was built in the 80's.

This could be a homebrewed system. I'm guessing the pipes are the grate. I can't advise on operation. The gas setup gives me the willies.

Last edited:
it looks like a gas log appliance fit over the top of it. are you looking to restore it or just curious?

We have not had it inspected yet. We want to use the fireplace as wood burning.

I would highly suggest getting a professional set of eyeballs on that setup. Personally, I would want every square inch inspected before I started tossing wood in there. Also, where is the gas shutoff for the gas pipe? That pipe will have the ability to transfer heat for a longs ways.
Flue condition (and build)
Firebox condition (and build)
Gas pipe
your pipe/tube assembly
These all need to be addressed for safe burning.

I'm clueless too. And I would't even think about burning anything in that fireplace until I was completely clued in.

I'm not sure what the heck those pipes in the back are! I think it's most likely a homemade heat grate of some sort. Or an attempt to force large amounts of air in order to burn their green wood.
The gas pipe is a traditional log lighter that is poorly installed. At the side wall of the firebox it should have an elbow that turns back and then a another 90 that turns it down closer to the floor. It was just never installed correctly. It should also have a gas shut-off within arms reach.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. The fireplace is masonry, original to the home. We definitely want to get it inspected, but don't know who to contact. Any thoughts for someone in the Cincinnati area who would have the expertise?

I had a gaslog fireplace that looked similar to that setup. But no way could you burn wood in it ,it would have burned down the house with the first fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.