Can stove inserts work without blowers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sly,

I'd guesstimate that my insert is four times more effective with the blower on.

Are you asking because you are evaluating an insert versus a freestanding stove? If I ever have to replace my insert, I will go with a freestanding unit.

WarmGuy said:
Sly,

I'd guesstimate that my insert is four times more effective with the blower on.

Are you asking because you are evaluating an insert versus a freestanding stove? If I ever have to replace my insert, I will go with a freestanding unit.

Yes, I'm trying to decide what makes the most sense. We have a Majestic Warm Majic fireplace unit right now, and I'm trying to decide if I should put in insert in there, or keep the fireplace as-is and put a free standing stove on the mid level of our split.

I think I want to do a free standing stove, but an insert might be the most economical option. I like the fireplace, but it's has a heck of an appetite, and using it as a primary heat source won't be possible.

Thanks for all the input, you guys are great!
-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.