Can stove share pipe with range hood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantabria

Jan 11, 2009
Spain
In a completely new open-plan house, the place where we plan to put a wood-burning cast-iron stove is nearly back-to-back with where the kitchen range will be. Is it possible to run the range hood exhaust pipe right into the stove pipe? Is this a really, really bad idea, or just something rather unusual that may or may not work?

Thanks, guys. Even unfounded opinions are welcome.

the wood stove police will most likely want to give you a ticket for that idea, maybe the electric chair

Is this a really, really bad idea, or just something rather unusual that may or may not work?

Thanks, guys. Even unfounded opinions are welcome.
Yep, a really really bad idea!!!!!!!

No way should this be done!

You say back to back where the range will be. I take it the house is not completed yet, so now is the time to do it right.

Besides all the code passing issues... A couple reasons that come to mind that this would be a bad idea:

1) When using the range hood you would be diluting the woodstove draft temp. This would cool the flue temps and almost certainly increase the amount of creosote buildup in the chimney.
2) The range exhaust is likely to be used when cooking (duh). Often times cooking involves oils that are 'boiled off' and get sucked into the hood. These oils will condense in your chimney flue and can burn. Ever heard of a fire in a restaurant caused by the kitchen hoods?

Combine these two and you are inviting a disaster into your home. I realize you don't plan to be deep frying food all day like a commercial kitchen but you would be surprised at just how much can collect in a kitchen hood. If you have one now (even a cheesy one that blows back in your face) and have been using it much, reach inside and feel the surfaces and I'll bet they are at least a little bit slippery.

Status
Not open for further replies.