Can stovepipe heat sheild ceramic spacers be painted?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Just installed a heatsheild on my stovepipe tonight and was wondering if anyone would know if you can paint the ceramic spacers with high temp stove paint?

Sure.

Thanks fossil. I thought I would ask first because i didn't want to take the time to paint them and they start peeling. Should I give them one coat, start a fire burn it on, then paint again or give it several coats then start a fire?

Got an extra? Take it out in the garage or somewhere & give it a real light coat, then wait a while & see if you like how it looks. If not, give it a second coat...& etc. In any case, since you've already installed the thing, avoiding overspray onto the stovepipe is going to be impossible. If you care about that, take the thing apart and paint the spacers somewhere else. Otherwise, be prepared to spray liberally (lightly but widely) so that everything blends in. Lots of overspray and then smell while curing is to be anticipated. Mask and cover more than you think is needed. I know they're just small things, but when you start spraying high temp stove paint around, it's gonna go everywhere. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.