Can The Pellet Makers Be Doing The Supermarket Hustle Now??? What's With The 35LB Bags.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Chazy, NY 12921
I was standing there at the border the other night doing my thing and past me rolls a Canuk-truck with a brand of pellets I couldn't make out. Black and white bags pretty plain looking. All I managed to see was the weight on the side. It was rather conspicuously marked I will admit but guess what it said? 35 LBS!!!!!!!! Are we getting the good old detergent and mayo bottle hustle here or what? Anyone ever see that before? I will admit you would have to be half blind not to see the markig as the letters were at least an inch and probably bigger.

Could have been pellets made for horse bedding, not for burning.
I have seen some brands around here that come in 30-35 pound bags.

I can remember there were smaller bags that they ship to Europe...For some reason i remember ther ebeing 70 bags on a pallet..doing the math on that if the pallets were the standard ton...it would work out to be around 29 lbs a bag...now metric system metric ton...lord knows...but mayvbe it works out to be 35 lbs?
Since my lil stove has an annoyingly small 37 lbs hopper...I wouldn't mind the 35 lbs bags...as long as a ton was still 2000 lbs.

supermarkets seem to sell everything now thanks to wally world.

BTU said:
I believe there is a market for a 20 lb bag (easier to handle for someone) and have tossed around the idea. but not sure there is enough of a market to make it cost effective. Since pellets are sold usually by the ton, it doesn't really matter that much how many lbs are in the bag. As some of you know, we ship our pallets with 65 bags of pellets on them or 1.3 tons per pallet. Yet they are ALWAYS priced by the ton. Dealers may choose to sell them by the pallet or break them down and sell by the ton..or even by the bag...that is their choice.

As mentioned 30-35lbs bags are normal animal bedding packaging..

PS...It's Canuck..like the hockey team..

BTU,

I would buy #20 lb. bags if they were not a lot more (cost wise) then #40 lbs. I have a bad back and it would help my wife with the filling chores also. I actually tried to get 20 lbers when I bought my pellets. It would give you a one up on your competition by having them available. My guess is that people would buy a mix of 20's, and 40's. At least I would. I would probably buy all 20's. I have seen adds on Craigslist for people selling stoves because the bag weight was to heavy. How much would it add to the cost and what kind of skid/packaging headaches would it cause? Carrying a 20 lb. bag up the stairs is a whole lot easier then a 40.

David

Driz:
I guess they could have been bags for pellet grills? I think the bags sold as fuel (some flavored w/hickory etc.) for the grills are 20 to 35 pounds. It makes them easier to pour in the small hopper.

35.2 lbs works out to 16 kilos....maybe some rounding for convenience....and prpobably a metric market (canada,europe). 40lbs is 18.18 kilos, not a very round number. maybe they're "diet" pellets or "low fat" that would account for the weight diff ;-)

I thought that 70 x 40 lb bags was supposed to be 1000Kg or a metric Tonne...but that makes 2800 lbs or 1.4 Tons or so. I guess that 70 bags must just make a nice stable pallet of Pellets!!!

This is how my Eastern Embers came from Home Depot .....but even here on PEI no-one buys by the Kg!!

Hey BTU...any way of getting yor pellets here on PEI? ...we have pretty limited choices at the moment....the only consistant source is Shaw Eastern Embers which burn OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.