Can the plumbing guru’s check this out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat53

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2010
UP Mich
OK, I'll try it again. Can you guys check this schematic out and see if anything looks wrong, or why it wouldn't work ?

The system will use 2 circulators while burning wood, w/ the backup propane boiler that will only fire when the storage falls below 140F. One circulator will run the radiant heat and the indirect HW maker, and the other would run the 2 baesboard zones.

I have left out stuff like the air seperators, expansion tanks, etc. for simplicity.

thx, Pat

Attachments

• loui 011.jpg
    loui 011.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 326
To start with, I don't see the wood boiler in the schematic. Hard to say much without it.

I am going to assume the "500G Propane" is a tank of some sort for water and not for propane?

LOL, sorry guys, the 500 gallon propane is the storage tank. The boiler would just supply hot water to the tank.

I have left out stuff like the air seperators, expansion tanks, etc. for simplicity.

Actually the location of these components within the piping scheme have a lot to do with how a hydronic system performs.

Will

Pat53 said:
LOL, sorry guys, the 500 gallon propane is the storage tank. The boiler would just supply hot water to the tank.

Both boilers just supply hot water to the tank.

An example of the problem with a partial drawing, you need a check valve for each boiler. Your drawing shows one.

Do you want the option to heat your home when the tank is cold without having to wait to heat the tank? You may want to consider plumbing your wood boiler into your system in such a way that would allow the boiler to send heat to your loads first and then the tank second. If you check out the "simplest pressurized" sticky in the boiler room it might help...

stee6043 said:
Do you want the option to heat your home when the tank is cold without having to wait to heat the tank? You may want to consider plumbing your wood boiler into your system in such a way that would allow the boiler to send heat to your loads first and then the tank second. If you check out the "simplest pressurized" sticky in the boiler room it might help...

Yes, I will probably plumb it that way, but i was just wondering if the rest of the ploumbing was do-able or needed some tweaking.

thx, Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.