can the termovar mixing valve be rebuilt?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitcakesa

Oct 15, 2013
Vermont
I noticed that the valve is leaking from the front cover. Is there a rebuild kit available for this unit?
It is an Acaso # 4432 valve.
I have it on my Tarm xl2000 furnace.

I am not sure if thats the same valve as I have or not . I just did rebuild on mine , new element and new gasket . I would call the guys at Tarm for the part .If you are realy good you could run to your local auto store DSC00443.JPG DSC00447.JPG DSC00449.JPG and get some thin gasket mterial and cut it your self but the gasket is very small and would need to be cut almost 100% correct . As far as the leak mine leaked for the last 8 years , not much but if the piping was cold there were a few drips on the floor . Just a hint I got when you put in the new gasket use vasoline on the gasket .

I am not sure if thats the same valve as I have or not . I just did rebuild on mine , new element and new gasket . I would call the guys at Tarm for the part .If you are realy good you could run to your local auto store View attachment 129290 View attachment 129291 View attachment 129292 and get some thin gasket mterial and cut it your self but the gasket is very small and would need to be cut almost 100% correct . As far as the leak mine leaked for the last 8 years , not much but if the piping was cold there were a few drips on the floor . Just a hint I got when you put in the new gasket use vasoline on the gasket .
That sure looks like mine right down to the corrosion!
Did you have to purge or bleed the system after the rebuild or is that not an issue ?
The valve on my boiler is at a high point .
How much was the repair kit and is it a straight forward fix?
Thanks for the info.

As I can remember the element and gasket was like 75 bucks , I think . But if you dont need the element then its just the gasket . Depending on how your system is will depend on your amount of water loss and purging . In my case I have 5 ball valves to close and at that time I can change my 2 pumps and the termovar . Above my two pumps and termovar I have a riser with a manual bleeder . I would say my total loss of water is about a gallon or so . As far as the gasket goes you have two little screws that hold the face plate on and under the face plate is 4 screws in the corners that hold the cover on and then gasket . Dont expect to get the gasket out at all in fact I think most of my gasket was deteriorated gone , but then I was running antifreeze in my system and I have heard thats hard on gaskets . Once you have the two face plate screws out and the 4 corner screws out thats all the hand tools you need . Under the cover you will see that there are two half moon shaped cylidrical brass pieces , like in the last picture , That more or less is an assembly of the thermostatic element being held in place by the spring which puts pressure between the two halves to hold them in place in the termovar housing as you see in the last picture . Just work the two halfs out togeather and the assembly will fall apart , Just remember how it was put togeather there are only 4 pieces total but they need to be installed correctly .
This whole project is way way very easy . If you do take the cover off to change the gasket I would at least take apart the rest an make sure that there is nothing wedged in your element as I found a small piece of teflon tape in mine keeping it from closing all the way .
As a side note this coming Saturday I am replacing the termovar with a Danfoss ESBE VTC 511 charging valve . There is another thread going on this now

Status
Not open for further replies.