Can this maul be fixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Is there a fix for this besides what I can a hose clamp and maybe leather?
I am referring to the spacer that is missing between the head and the handle.
It is flexing too much upon impact and especially upon withdrawal if it gets stuck.

Attachments

• axe handle.jpg
    axe handle.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 500
gzecc said:
Is there a fix for this besides what I can a hose clamp and maybe leather?
I am referring to the spacer that is missing between the head and the handle.
It is flexing too much upon impact and especially upon withdrawal if it gets stuck.
If it is flexing I think your handle is loose and the washer wont fix it, may be wrong here but that is what I have and I think mine is gone also with no flex.

Get some coarse steel wool and JB Weld epoxy. Spin the wool into a long thread, saturate it with epoxy and wrap it around the shaft.

are you sure that it's not slipping off the handle? The ones I've had didn't have that much of a gap at the end when the softer rubber started coming off.

I used a heavy duty adhesive tape I just bought for another repair. Its Gorilla tape, same company that makes the glue. I cut it in thin strips and wrapped it around and in the space between the head and the handle. Then covered it with a full size piece. Should work for a while. I used it because it needs to be weather proof and flexible.

That is the cleanest piece of 'missing' handle I have ever seen. I'd bet the handle has broken loose inside the head and is starting to slip out. This seems to be especially common with fiberglass handles. The epoxy plug will stay in place in the end of the head and the glass will break allowing the handle to slip out. So far, I haven't found anything as strong as the original bond. JB weld, liquid steel, gorilla glue, etc - all break loose in a few good hits.

You can wrap with tape, but if more 'missing' handle starts to show up, it's probably best to start wearing a hardhat during splitting :)

cozy heat said:
That is the cleanest piece of 'missing' handle I have ever seen. I'd bet the handle has broken loose inside the head and is starting to slip out. This seems to be especially common with fiberglass handles. The epoxy plug will stay in place in the end of the head and the glass will break allowing the handle to slip out. So far, I haven't found anything as strong as the original bond. JB weld, liquid steel, gorilla glue, etc - all break loose in a few good hits.

You can wrap with tape, but if more 'missing' handle starts to show up, it's probably best to start wearing a hardhat during splitting :)

I'm sure you may be right, although I do remember a rubber spacer piece shredding off from that location some time ago. It still seems mighty strong.

That would be my concern as well. You don't want a 6-8# maul head flying off the handle in mid-swing. Someone could get seriously injured. Fix it right or get a new handle.

I think my loose handle started just like that, the rubber came off and then the handle came out of the head.

I think J-B weld or any good 2 part epoxy will do.

I have a fiskars. I use the larger maul for big stuff and the fiskars for the average stuff.

no, i'm with Bernie on this one. and while you are at it, you should definitely stop using a chainsaw and start using a hacksaw.

Mine did the same thing a year or so ago, I found an epoxy kit at walmart(home depot and lowes didn't have them without the handle included). Took the head off cleaned it up with sandpaper and some alcohol and put the new epoxy on. Still going strong a year later. If I remember right, the kit was less than 5 bucks.

Classic loose handle look to me. Pound it back in and fill it with a good 2 part epoxy. If it still flexes get a new handle or replace the whole thing...get a craftsman from Sears, same product but they'll replace it free the next time you break it. I've got a double headed axe, 6lb maul and 10 lb sledge from there, all yellow fiberglass handles. All warrantied for life.

Those yellow handled Sears tools are tough. I have the maul, sledge, and a couple shovels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.