Can this work? Chimey install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RetsooR

Nov 21, 2019
Chimney.png
Hopefully the pic tells the story.
Red= straight up 20' obviously this is the way I would want it. Valley is too close. Not mutch room up there for a offset mabey 44 inches of rise then with an attic insulation gard and sissor trusses it would be tuff to ofset.

Blue =through the wall .porch exit. though the soffet celling through the roof..this would put me about 30 inches from the valley.

I dont know if this is even allowed..
I have searched here and everywere and not found anything. Im assuming the area on the porch would need a chase. Mabey not? I like the idea of having easy access to that tee though.

The roof pitch is 8/12 on the hip section.

I appreciate any thoughts.. good or bad thanks

Would an offset inside to move the red pipe further to the left to avoid the valley work?

If were looking at the pic . To the left it would have to be a corner install in that front wall.. that would get me somewhere between 18 - 20 inches from the valley..

Sorry dont know for sure witch left your talking about.

If we can imagine we are in the house standing in front of stove.. moving to the left would be really undesirable.. the stove placement is already at the edge of a corner wall witch would put the stove pipe going up the wall then over into a high celling space.
Haha. Im sorry its hard to explain .

I hate to have offsets but if I have to I think I would rather have a 90 and a tee .. possible creosote wouldnt bother me if I knew I could clean and inspect it easily. Then I worry about the draft I would have 14 feet of chimney outside conditioned space.
I can do all the roof work and carpentry work if a chase on the porch is required. Is a porch considered a area that requires a chase. I can not find any info on this.

To the left in the picture you posted, that is so that the red chimney is moved to the other side of the roof valley. Offsets are fine when they are the best solution. In this case the goal would be to keep the flue system in the house as much as possible and avoid adding 2-90º turns in the flue path. It would look better and cost less too.

Thank you begreen. Seems like you always have good advice for everyone.

I did some measuring today. Tomorrow I will find out for sure. Moving left far enough to get on other valley will require me to go through sissor truss.. 3.5/12 pitch celling 10/12 roof pitch .. I cant access those trusses that are left of valley .. only the ones that are over the porch.

What do you think about 30 degree offsets in the class A? One set with 18 inch section between them?

Is there a distance I have to come out of a 11 inch tall celling support box befor Ican start with a 30. A 6 inch peice would let me start the offset early but how would i get insulation shield on. If I could box in the two trusses it passes through and that would be sufficient I could get enough offset to clear the valley.

If I cant get this to work here I will have to move install to totally diffrent location. The other location is under second floor I would have no choice but to wall exit.

I built this house . Oh how I wish someone would have said .. hey where is the wood burner going ? when I was building it!!!!;hm:confused:

RetsooR, think it through..don't go off half-cocked. ;)

I'm working on it.. trust me . Had my head light on this eavning after work poking my head up through the porch soffet. Gotta keep the hens in this house happy!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yes, 30º offsets are possible with class A chimney, but with a caveat. Most do not permit the offset to be outdoors.

If you can post some pictures of the locations in consideration and maybe of the trusses too, we might spot something.

First pic is where chimney would come up square celling box then 30° angle back towards where I was taking pic.

Second pic you can see valley to left.. the blue sheeting can be removed easily to make room for the offset and chimney.

I know I have read 4 brands of chimney instructions .. couple have not said anything about not installing offset outside of living space.. duratech is one.. unless I am missing something hope you guys can set me straight on that..

The insulation manual says without insulation shield I would have to inclose the chimney all the way to the roof.. possible fire stop shield at roof also . I have around 36 inches to offset from the top of celling support box .. duratechs ofset chart shows a 12.25" offset at 30 .25" rise.. that would put the center of chimney pipe about 22 inches from valley.

You are correct, the Duratech installation instructions don't specifically mention not using an offset outdoors, but they only provide directions for indoor use because they want the upper elbow strapped to a rafter to support the weight on the elbow.

Boxing in the offset might be ok to shield the pipe from insulation contact as long as combustibles are kept >2" away from the chimney pipe. Be sure to vacuum the area clean first, including in the ceiling support box, so that no sawdust is sitting in it. And screw in the cover so that it can be removed for access.

Absolutely.. clean ,neat secure. Follow all directions keep clearence.. I got this. I have been driving my wife nuts I'm so excited.