can two woodstoves one above the other on different floors share a stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tr123

Jan 16, 2011
PA
We are exploring several wood stove configurations for a part of the house that isn't served by central heating, a former garage that has been turned into a workshop and a room above it. If two woodstoves are in identical positions one floor apart, one directly above the other, would be they be allowed to share a stack as in the attached diagram?

Attachments

• StackedStack2.png
    StackedStack2.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 640
tr123 said:
We are exploring several wood stove configurations for a part of the house that isn't served by central heating, a former garage that has been turned into a workshop and a room above it. If two woodstoves are in identical positions one floor apart, one directly above the other, would be they be allowed to share a stack as in the attached diagram?

No

Ray

Franks said:
Its against code for two wood stoves to share the same flue.
Definately not allowed.. think the draft would stink too.

Definetly not. That is why you see chimneys with multiple flu exits; different fireplaces/burners for each one.

Thanks for the replies. I sort of intuited by how perfectly convenient that would be that it was probably going to be prohibited by code.

Is there a limit to how close to each other the stacks can get?

I've also been wondering the same thing, if two flues can share the same chimney (separate flues). Not looking for doing it imeadiately but I've though about building a fire place in my living room to put an insert in and installing a stove pretty much directly below it in the basement. Like the previous poster how far apart would the flues need to be at the top and if any hight differance would be needed between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.