Can we redirect the heat as it leaves our pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loblolly

Jan 12, 2009
Northern MA
Very :) to have found this message board!!

We recently bought a Harmon fireplace insert, which we love, but are losing more heat than we had hoped up the stairs. Is there any kind of accessory that can redirect the warm air as it leaves the stove, much like the moveable vertical levers on an air conditioner? As it is now, the fan blows the heated air towards the stairway and we want to find a way to redirect it, ideally as it leaves the stove.

Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated!

You might want to direct all heat towards the mother in law if she is living with you no chit, Heat the %$#%^ up and cook her out of your house, Lucky for me my monster in law is in Florida! :snake:

pelletizer said:
You might want to direct all heat towards the mother in law if she is living with you no chit, Heat the %$#%^ up and cook her out of your house, Lucky for me my monster in law is in Florida! :snake:

Or get a dog that likes to jump and hump. That will keep the Mo in law a away.

If possible, I would install drapery that would block the heat from going up the stairs. It also adds a nice look to the entry way and you can control the heat from going up the stairs without fans or redirectors.

If you don't want the upstairs getting heat, I'll assume you use a different source for there. Most people here have the opposite problem, trying to get heat upstairs. Fans will have minimal success, eliminate the heat going up stairs by keeping it warmer upstairs or blocking access to the stairs by creating a doorway or even using a curtain.

I use an oscillating fan on a stand set off to the side. I does a good job of redirecting the hot air, but I am trying to get thr hot air upstairs quicker, and lower the temp in the room with the stove. Worth a try if you already have the fan.
Mike -

How about a small celing fan in the stairway if possible even if you direct it off the stove heat still rises, still like my first idea better,

Being new myself to a pellet stove I thought that would happen in my house. Figured all the heat would go right up the stairs. To my suprise it does not. I guess there is too much cold comming down? Makes for good sleeping with extra blankets.

Any kind of muffin or small doorway fan might help a little but it`s usually little more than a marginal attempt to move large amounts of warm air about and almost always noisy.
I use a 10" fan to blow warm air from the finished basement up through a 10"X12" floor vent . It really works good and is super quiet.
The small 4-1/4" muffin fans I tried were nearly useless.

My 2 cents,

Every good circulating system has Both a supply and a return. You will move little air using a fan to blow air upstairs. Somewhere upstairs (the coldest place or the furthest) you need to have an equal fan blowing air down stairs.

The key is to keep a steady flow of heated air going up and a return flow to be reheated. And as CZARCAR said try to direct the cold air return towards the stove.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.