can wick new brick to test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Saw these at local HD . The seem to be in the middle size wise of biob and ecologs. Testing them out today. Anybody use them yet?

20131220_164050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg! I wasn't finished posting this when the front 2 " fell off the block. Put on a small bed of coals, took off really quickly.

I use them mixed with dry maple and birch, they burn hot and long. I can get them from the manufacturer about 1 hour away.

By the picture they look somewhat lower density. How much does a full block expand when burned?

By the picture they look somewhat lower density. How much does a full block expand when burned?

By the almost immediate split off, I would they are definitely lower density.

I just put them in 45 minutes ago.

Are they swelling up a lot?

I wish Home Depot's around me carried products like this. It's an absolute pain finding compressed hardwood fuel in this area, and I need to pick some up soon as I don't think my wood supply is going to last until it's warm enough to shut the stove down for the summer.

Couldn't take it no more. Decided to drive out to Oxford and load up the Prius with NIELS. Got 60. That's the weight of 2 fat guys or 5 super models. Wow, that's a mental whiplash, isn't it?

Where are NIELs sold in MA? I thought only Hearthwise Home fire Prest-Logs were sold back east. Do you mean the Canwick blocks?

I've used them for 2 winters without complaint. I put 2+2 stacked in a corner in my FW2740 and it'll keep the main floor toasty for 4 - 6 hours, come home and break them up and coals are ready to light cordwood or more blocks. I keep about two dozen bundles on hand for those days where it's too nasty to walk to the woodpile or for when I'm down with a cold.

Where are NIELs sold in MA? I thought only Hearthwise Home fire Prest-Logs were sold back east. Do you mean the Canwick blocks?

Robbins Garden Center
28 Sutton AvOxford, MA, 01540508-987-2700

Robbins Garden Center
28 Sutton AvOxford, MA, 01540508-987-2700

About Overnight Logs
  • Wood stoves burns 10-12 hours
  • 8600 BTU’st
  • Clean Burning = Lower CO2 Emissions
  • 100% wood
  • Log weight 7-8 lbs, 13" long, 4" diameter
  • 1 pallet has the heating capacity of 1.5-2 cords of wood
northidaho.jpg

image did not work. Can't tell what these logs are. Who makes them?

could be NIELs are a different animal and I think much more highly compressed. They're only sold out west to my knowledge

The image they have on Robbins website is tiny. Can you post a larger picture of the product label and the logs themselves?

Edit:
OK, reading the specs, maybe they are being marketed back east? You will know when you burn them. If they hold together and don't expand like a giant cigar ash then they may be the real McCoy. Instead they burn down with little ash to a hot glowing egg shaped coal. They will be very dense and will not float in water.

Last edited:
Definitely not NIELs. NIELs are a different animal and I think much more highly compressed. They're only sold out west to my knowledge

The image they have on Robbins website is tiny. Can you post a larger picture of the product label and the logs themselves?

northidaho.jpg

8 LB per log, exactly as in the picture. They don't come in boxes, only on pallet. They break pallets to sell individually. Robbins is on The NIEL website as a distributor, that's how I found them

this is the pic from the NIEL site, same picture as Robbins:northidaho.jpg

Yep, mea culpa, NIEL now shows east coast distribution on their website. You are correct. Thanks for that info. Get em while they are hot and enjoy the warmth. Treat them with respect, they pack a wallop.

could be NIELs are a different animal and I think much more highly compressed. They're only sold out west to my knowledge

Edit:
OK, reading the specs, maybe they are being marketed back east? You will know when you burn them. If they hold together and don't expand like a giant cigar ash then they may be the real McCoy. Instead they burn down with little ash to a hot glowing egg shaped coal. They will be very dense and will not float in water.
No they're definitely NEIL's begreen, I've been burning them for 3-4 years, it's the only place around here that I know of that sells them.

Yep, as noted in my correction above, I believe you. That is great that you can get them on the east coast. They are the bomb.

Yep, as noted in my correction above, I believe you. That is great that you can get them on the east coast. They are the bomb.
We must have posted at the same time. The funny thing is they wouldn't tell me who made them until this past year, they call them over night logs, I had a suspicion they were NEIL's but no one that worked there would confirm, they were always vague when I asked them who the manufacture was.

Odd sales strategy. Once word gets out that they sell NIELs they should see product move quicker. Perhaps they were contractually bound to not advertise the name until NIEL could put it on their site?

I loved going to Robbins, I live in the suburbs and we don't have places like that. They had four pellet stoves going and many others on display plus wood stoves. They have 5 times the offerings of my local stove places. But I didn't see the usual suspects, jotul, VC, wittus, etc. I didn't have time to spend a lot of time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.