can wick new brick to test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips on lighting the Niels? They are very compressed, I'm thinking a SC chunk won't cut it.

as in other threads, i've sung the praise of canawick's products. have only tried the bricks, the blocks look interesting. really helps immature splits. 3- 4 hour hard burns, overnites 8 hrs is no problem.

Any tips on lighting the Niels? They are very compressed, I'm thinking a SC chunk won't cut it.
I've always put them on an existing coal bed. They're pretty dry so it shouldn't take much to light them, maybe start a small fire with some small splits (larger than kindling) and place them on top of that.

In a larger stove, I used 2 - 1/4 chunks of a SuperCedar and had good ignition every time. Place 2, N/S about " apart in the center of the stove. Put the SuperCedar chunks in between and centered. Then place a third, E/W, across the top, centered. Light the S/C and you should get good ignition.

In a smaller stove I would be more careful. I never tried this in the F602. What stove will you be burning them in?

I've always put them on an existing coal bed. They're pretty dry so it shouldn't take much to light them, maybe start a small fire with some small splits (larger than kindling) and place them on top of that.

Argh!! 55 today, sitting on the deck with coffee watching the trees swing from side to side, warm wind. Too warm for Niels. Staged a bunch of spruce for next burning.

I wish Niels were shorter to fit NS in my stove. I guess I could cut them down.

You can snap them in half with a hatchet.

In a larger stove, I used 2 - 1/4 chunks of a SuperCedar and had good ignition every time. Place 2, N/S about " apart in the center of the stove. Put the SuperCedar chunks in between and centered. Then place a third, E/W, across the top, centered. Light the S/C and you should get good ignition.

In a smaller stove I would be more careful. I never tried this in the F602. What stove will you be burning them in?

For overnight I'd like to try them in the morso. Only 9" NS though.

As soon as it gets colder I'll try it.

as in other threads, i've sung the praise of canawick's products. have only tried the bricks, the blocks look interesting. really helps immature splits. 3- 4 hour hard burns, overnites 8 hrs is no problem.
filled the stove last nite @ 9pm with 7 bricks, just used the left over coals to restart .stove was still 175*

Did you read the wiki article? The Castine is shallow too. That's why I split the NIELs to burn N/S.

Did you read the wiki article? The Castine is shallow too. That's why I split the NIELs to burn N/S.

I did read the wiki. I just tried a dry fit. 3 half's NS and 2 on top EW. The back whole one rolls against the back and the front whole I fear will roll against the glass.

Attachments

• 20140112_131123.jpg
    20140112_131123.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 104
  • 20140112_131131.jpg
    20140112_131131.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 93
I did read the wiki. I just tried a dry fit. 3 half's NS and 2 on top EW. The back whole one rolls against the back and the front whole I fear will roll against the glass.

Flipped the whole and half's. This way if they roll it will be EW roll. Also, this uses 4 Niels. I could add 2 more half's, is 4.5 too much?

Attachments

• 20140112_133313.jpg
    20140112_133313.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 109
Flipped the whole and half's. This way if they roll it will be EW roll. Also, this uses 4 Niels. I could add 2 more half's, is 4.5 too much?

That will work, but it will be a bit harder starting. The front lower log will block air from hitting the base of the fire between the logs.But with 2 quarter chunks of SuperCedar I think you will be fine for starting.

Your first picture is how I loaded. I share your concern about the log rolling toward the glass so I suggest building up a little ash under the front N/S logs so that the slope is toward the back of the stove. A 1/4" of ash build up at the front of the logs should suffice.

This is an area where the HomeFire's have an advantage. They have a flat side to prevent rolling.

That will work, but it will be a bit harder starting. The front lower log will block air from hitting the base of the fire between the logs.But with 2 quarter chunks of SuperCedar I think you will be fine for starting.

Your first picture is how I loaded. I share your concern about the log rolling toward the glass so I suggest building up a little ash under the front N/S logs so that the slope is toward the back of the stove. A 1/4" of ash build up at the front of the logs should suffice.

This is an area where the HomeFire's have an advantage. They have a flat side to prevent rolling.

Yes, good point on the starting. I guess I can leave the door cracked a little for awhile, I have pretty good draft here. What's your thought on 4.5 Niels in a 1.5 cu ft stove?

Yes, good point on the starting. I guess I can leave the door cracked a little for awhile, I have pretty good draft here. What's your thought on 4.5 Niels in a 1.5 cu ft stove?

Be prepared for a hot stove. These logs pack a lot of btus. If you want to be more conservative with your first fire, remove the two side halves in your E/W load. You can add them later as the fire burns down.

I'm loving these NIELS. in the morning they get our common area a good 3 degrees warmer in the same time as wood. I don't have any seasoned oak. and my initial load lasts from 7:30 to 3 pm. they are especially effective with a split on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.