CAN YA GUESS THESE BIG BOYS ??? TREE ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
i know i know, i should wait till spring to figure these 80' + beasts out so i can see the buds, but i cant wait!

im thinkin its a softwood , seeing how i know most of the hardwoods by the back of my hand.

theres several of these on my property. im in northern ohio, and mostly sugar maple/bitternut hickory forests .

the bark is pretty fissured and there are no branches for about 30' or so. these guys waive in the wind way up high.

i do have some american basswood and american elm on the property too if that helps . the 3rd pic of a trunk is i think of the same species, though maybe not. its just as tall. youll notice the resemblance if you look higher up the trunk of the first tree in the middle pic . bark starts to smooth out too.

pic 1 - tree 1

pic 2 - tree 1's crown

pic 3 - tree 2 (might not be same)

Attachments

• IMG_1539 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1539 (Large).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_1540 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1540 (Large).JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_1541 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1541 (Large).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 965
well i do have a bunch of bigtooth's in the front yard... must be in the back too. hmmm

Poplar

well the trunk and crown do have the profile of a yellow poplar , or tulip tree. ill have to look for the yellow flowers in the spring.

Lots of different trees called Poplar. Same for Aspen, Cottonwood, Bam... all low grade hardwood. I have three varieties of Poplar on my land. I've also cut lots of it on pipeline construction to lay down in swamps for miles of roads. We called it rip wrap, not to be confused with blast rock which is also called rip wrap.

oh i know its junk wood... its just i have a lot of free time and wandered in the yard... waiting for felling and bucking season! harrr!

learn something everyday.... around here, poplars are condsidered yellow poplars, or tulip trees cus the shape of their leaves. they also have round leafstalks , whereas bigtooths are flat stalks that make them chatter in the wind, and the leaf shapes are totally different. just my 2 cents on what the two tree types mean to me.

Trees that lose their leaves are considered hard wood. The weight/density of some hardwoods can be as light or lighter than some softwoods.

I have a couple in my woods, they have large simple toothed leaves (large rounded teeth). If the snow aint too deep I bet if you dig down you can ID the leaves in an instant.
Big Toothed Aspen

Some bark variations....

WB

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 677
You guys were both close, but I think it is assquaking poplen.

We do call aspen poplar up here in these parts.

hahaha , now thats some funny stuff. . my guess is quaking aspen (correct spelling i think) seeing how i have a half dozen in my front yard and no yellow tulip. asspoplartooth does sound much cooler though. . .

Common folk call it Poplar, Highbrow folk call it Aspen.

Naw. Common folk calls it popple.

Status
Not open for further replies.