Can you burn a root?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Bear

Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2010
Southwestern Pa
Due to a sewer line going through my back yard. They pulled out a black cherry tree with a track hoe roots and all. Some of the root looked like nice logs. Can you dry and burn a root?

Yes you can.Just make sure its dry & free of mud or dirt.

Very good point lukem!

I got a few from uprooted trees from the october snowstorm that I have drying, the rain has cleaned the dirt off.

Stuff takes forever to dry and burns up in a heartbeat. No heartwood in it.

Reactions: midwestcoast
Stuff takes forever to dry and burns up in a heartbeat. No heartwood in it.

Yep. Not that I've burned cords of roots, but the chunks I pulled out from a big Silver Maple in my yard were very light when dried & burned quick in the fire pit.

Yes . . . but the few times I've had roots I've just tossed them on the pit fire or brush pile to burn . . . too much dirt and not enough "meat" to make it worthwhile for me to cut up.

Usually don't want to cut them because of all the dirt. Makes short work of a sharp chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.