Can you burn in an Englander 28-3500 add-on furnace while the power is out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1sterM

Aug 21, 2008
The Frigid North
I'd hate to overfire one if the air isn't moving. The manual has nothing to say on the matter. Anyone know?

M1sterM said:
I'd hate to overfire one if the air isn't moving. The manual has nothing to say on the matter. Anyone know?
if the power goes out shut down the damper

always keep the air inlet no more than a 1/4 open when you are not next to or you can get to the stove ever few min. Differnt wood types will make a differents

yes, you can burn the unit during a power outage. you should burn sensibly and understand that it will not be able to provide the normal performance without the blower moving heat through the ducts , but running with no blower doesnt really increase the odds of overfiring as long as its burned in a normal way.

If the system is well designed there may be some gravity heating still taking place. However, this is a good reason for being conservative with trunk duct clearances, especially around the wood furnace connection. The supply duct will likely be seeing much higher than normal temps without the blower running.

Yes, duct clearances are a BIG problem. I would guess that a large % of installed wood furnaces (any brand) do not have the specified clearances. If this is the case, then using the unit in a power failure can overheat combustibles.

My advice? Check out the duct clearances carefully - in a power failure, open up the return on the wood furnace (possible on some models), so that maximum convection air flow can occur - maybe even install a TEE or other opening on the feed duct to let excess heat into the basement (which will help to heat the house) - and don't run the unit high!

If in doubt, monitor the temps of the ductwork a few feet upstream - under 250 degrees on the sheet metal should be fine....although it might affect air conditioning coils (someone else will have to answer that one!)

Webmaster said:
If in doubt, monitor the temps of the ductwork a few feet upstream - under 250 degrees on the sheet metal should be fine....although it might affect air conditioning coils (someone else will have to answer that one!)

craig raises a good point , ac coils dont like to get heated up a whole lot. usually i tell folks when they ask about installs that they check with their hvac installer first to ensure that they will install in a way that doesnt stress the "a coil" when heating with the add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.