Can you burn wood in a coal stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest-Rune

Oct 28, 2008
Appalachian Mountains
Hi,

I haven't searched the forum for this question yet, but i thought i'd ask it anyway.

My Dad recently offered me a coal stove, free of charge. I have not checked it out yet, so i don't know the make, model, or manufacturer. But, in general, can you use wood in a coal stove? I figure the stove doesn't care what it is burning, as long as it can handle to heat.

What do you think? I have easy access to lots of cord wood.

I've done it with a very small top loader.
Cringe: all pine , too.
Because of the air grate, I think it burned wood much too fast.
Probably my crappy stove, the splits went in vertical and burned from the bottom up.
IIRC, I had to reload every two hours or re-light. Very smalll fire box.

if it's somewhat air-tight, yes wood will burn fine, however due to smaller fireboxes you will often have to use smaller length logs and/or reload much more often. coal is a much denser fuel and does not require as much volume to produce the desired amount of heat. have you looked into burning coal in your coalstove?

yes.... coal would be fine... there is a coal yard a few towns over. i just didn't want to be confined to just one type of fuel. Especially in a serious economical crisis, i wouldn't want my supplemental heat source bound to market issues. I can always pick wood up off the ground, or season a tree from last year. I can't dig a coal mine

I have heard that some people mix coal and wood... the wood gets the heat going and the coal holds the heat

how much coal would a small (800 sq foot) house need to heat it for a winter in Pennsylvania. It get friggin cold here, but its by no means North Dakota or Alaska.

1 ton? 2 tons?

thanks!

You can burn wood in a coal stove, but it ain't the best, unless it's designed to do so.

What kind of coal stove you got anyway?

I burned a Baker coal stove and my house was, I think 1100 sq. ft. and I used 3 ton of coal in a winter.....live in South Pa. near Gettysburg.

If you got the wood, and you get some coal, I say go for it and burn 'em both.....hey, heat is heat.

Just make sure you have a safe chimney connection and keep your chimney inspected and clean of creosote.

My friend had a VC vigilant and burned both coal & wood . He used wood in the day time and coal for over night . He had to cut chunks to really fill the stove .

Status
Not open for further replies.