Can you clean a chimney too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
I"m cleaning my own chimney this year and have done so last month and this month. I guess since I am a new burner I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible cause I know I"m not burning correctly all the time and I surely have some not so good wood. Also it was like 60 degrees today...so why not. Today was the first time I took the stove pipe off to clean and that seemed to be the dirtiest part. All total from the two cleanings I have about a 1/4 cup of yuk. Definitely some flakes of yuk near the top of the chimney but the other stuff was very small and powdery.

I'm guessing the answer is "no" you can't clean a chimney too much, but what the heck...

thanks

You'd have to be doing something abusive when cleaning to have there be a problem.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Elle
You'll get to the point where you know you'll have maybe a cup or two for the whole season, hell even a mason jars worth, and figure you can do it once a season. Trust me, that time will come.
Till then, clean away.

Cleaning a few extra times the first year or two will tell you how your burning and the dryness of the wood. I didn't get half way thru the first season and the cap screen was plugged. My first few years the glass was total back, cap was a gooey mess and a lot of hard glazed chips in the chimney. Now dry cap is dry, half the chips and only clean the glass to clean the white haze. Same oak just seasoned 3 - 4 years and better burns.

I just cleaned my 18' metalbestos and retrieved about 2 cups worth after about 6 weeks of burning. I also started reading the CSIA white paper on chimney fires and it practically has me nervous about burning. Jeez so many things to think about during the burn phase and things that can go wrong.

You have to have alot of build up for it too be possible for a chimney fire. Do more inspections and clean once or twice a year if needed.

With these modern high efficiency stoves it would have to be gross negligence to get alot of build up in your flue.

Make sure your wood is 20% or less moisture and these stoves will burn efficient pretty easy.

Then if you have a stainless steel insulated modern flue the flue stays warm all the way up the entire length of the flue so the smoke doesnt condensate inside and stick to the flue like it did back in the old days of un-insulated masonry flues.

I just cleaned my 18' metalbestos and retrieved about 2 cups worth after about 6 weeks of burning. I also started reading the CSIA white paper on chimney fires and it practically has me nervous about burning. Jeez so many things to think about during the burn phase and things that can go wrong.
Burn good dry wood and don't smolder the thing, and you will be just fine. It doesn't hurt to check once in a while, but filling your head with someones opinions on paper is just that.

Burn good dry wood and don't smolder the thing, and you will be just fine. It doesn't hurt to check once in a while, but filling your head with someones opinions on paper is just that.
A lot of the paper is based on real world experience and laboratory experiments. But I do burn dry wood.

Try the Koolaid too, it is a site that charges money to supposedly train sweeps.
Claiming to be a non-profit, yet we all know the pres or ceo of a non profit , most times lives off those moneys the supposed non-profit brings in.
Who's "real world" experience is it? and Who's "laboratory experiments"? I'll stick with my on real world experience and experimentation thanks.

don't be nervous, just be conscientious of things. I was super nervous when I started burning which is probably why I am checking the chimney so much, but as I do it more I am realizing that it's not something to worry about 24/7. The new stoves are safe and efficient and I have taken all the precautions that I can so....nothing left to worry about really...just gotta be a good burner and ask questions when I am in doubt. Good burning!

Try the Koolaid too, it is a site that charges money to supposedly train sweeps.
Claiming to be a non-profit, yet we all know the pres or ceo of a non profit , most times lives off those moneys the supposed non-profit brings in.
Who's "real world" experience is it? and Who's "laboratory experiments"? I'll stick with my on real world experience and experimentation thanks.
Have you looked at the paper I am referring to? 121 page report. I thought there was a lot of interesting info in there. Not saying it's all accurate though.

No . . .

Unless . . .

A) You are way, way too vigorous in your sweeping and instead of using a traditional chimney brush or Soot-Easter you decide to attach a set of chains to your weedwhacker and drop that down your chimney

B) You decide to use chimney sweeping ferrets to clean the chimney . . . they do a decent job allegedly, but may leave some poo behind.

C) You sweep way too often and develop tendonitis and end up having to have surgery which then means you are laid up for several weeks during which you cannot load the woodstove and end up using your oil, natural gas, propane, etc. for heating.

:)

P.S. I sweep about once a month . . . mainly because of what I do . . . I would never hear the end of it from the guys I work with if I had a chimney fire and they found out about it . . . seeing as I teach and promote fire safety education.

Reactions: pen
Have you looked at the paper I am referring to? 121 page report. I thought there was a lot of interesting info in there. Not saying it's all accurate though.
Post a link, I'll check it out.

Big read, won't get through that for a while.
If the right questions are asked, most of that info can be found on here.
Nothing wrong with reading, if you have the time.

Big read, won't get through that for a while.
If the right questions are asked, most of that info can be found on here.
Nothing wrong with reading, if you have the time.
yeah no worries. Just the more I read, I started feeling less comfortable and I've been around wood stoves quite awhile. Things like not letting stove heat up too much/too fast (ie- >800-1000F) since that can trigger creosote to ignite, stacking in a bunch of wood for long burns can be bad since it can build more creosote, although I think the author must be thinking people doing that are closing down air too fast after a reload. Apparently it's been documented that chimney fires have occurred even one week after a cleaning. Lots of details that make you think over maybe over think things.

started feeling less comfortable and I've been around wood stoves quite awhile.

Ignorance is bliss....... to a point isn't it?

It's sort of like taking a ride in the car, the odds of dying there are incredible compared to almost any other routine activity, yet we assume the risk with little thought on a daily basis of how dangerous it actually is. Being prepared, knowledgeable, conscientious, etc, helps one to stay safe but there always is some risk. Same with crossing the road, eating most anything at a restaurant, or home for that matter, etc, etc..

Similarly, with good practices, the risk can be reduced here. It's always wise to have a cautious eye and honest respect for the fact that we are starting a fire in our home, but don't be afraid to let that new found knowledge help you feel better about your setup since if it's done right, odds run even in a fire, you should come out in good shape. And, by being this concerned that you are willing to learn, you are greatly reducing the chances of ever having a fire.

Again, it's one thing to have a healthy respect, it's another to become paralyzed. Make sure you are adjusting your practices in response to the knowledge and don't simply let it stop you.

Well done,

pen

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopix
Status
Not open for further replies.