can you convert a woodburning fireplace insert into a pellet stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a Jotul Rockland C550 Woodburning fireplace insert installed last April. This is our first winter burning wood. I have an Enviro Empress Pellet stove in my upstate vacation home. The difference is unbelievable. The pellet stove is so much less work. Yes you have to keep it clean, but you can fill the hopper with pellets and forget it for almost a whole day. I was just wondering if there is such a thing as converting a woodburning insert to a pellet insert??

Converting the jotul into a pellet insert would be a very big challenge. You could however sell it in the local paper or craigs list and then purchase a pellet insert to replace it.

Or just keep it for when you have time to tinker and power outages. Add a free standing stove somewhere in the house. Then you could enjoy both.

Unless your a engineer with 1000$ of dollars to design, fabricate, build, it would be far cheaper to just go on craigslist and buy a used stove , plenty under $G note, some even under $500 that work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.