Can you describe the different smells that different woods produce when burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I burn in the insert, I don't get any odors - good or bad. With my insert (2 years old), there will occasionally be some smoke that comes out when I am reloading. But, I am pretty careful and so far have only burned a limited range of woods - oak, mulberry, locust and maple. Can't tell much difference among these woods, especially since I usually have a mixed load.

One really notices a difference when smoking or barbecuing. In these tasks the smoke flavor is critical, and you have to pay very close attention to what you are using - grape vines, hickory, apple, cherry, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.