1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Can you eat pellets....???....my dog does...!!!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bigruckus, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bigruckus

bigruckus Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine, Millinocket
    Alright I'm not crazy...but I could not beleive it...my dog has been eating the pellets I spill on the floor when I fill my Thelin...does anyone know if this is ok...I use Maine Wood Pellets...(MWP)...60/40 mix...this is no joke..This dog also picked my cukes out of the garden this summer....the pic below shows her eating some...

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    My dog is a shi tzu poodle mix and he loves to eat somersets.

Like your dog he cannot wait till one hits the floor.
  3. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    Safe to say they are not border collies. Neither is ours. He eats a lot worse than wood pellets. Count your blessings. Our dogs specialty is rolling in dead critters. If he is not hungry that is.
  4. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    You kidding? I eat them for Breakfast!!!
    Remember Buck Wheats?
    This is better !!

Attached Files:

5. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    my dogs do the same i try not to let them eat to much but it is just wood dont think it is a big deal they chew on sticks
  6. bigruckus

bigruckus Member

Loc:
    I love this...you guys / girls are funny...anyways I was concerned about any additives...glues..adhesive...???....
  7. EarlyMan

EarlyMan New Member

Loc:
    Scarborough, Maine
    Wow, some of them look really long... just make sure they don't plug up your auger!!! :lol:

EarlyMan
  8. imacman

imacman Guest

My dog has special tastes....she will only eat the grass or coffee pellets a few of us had made a couple of winters ago. She turns her nose up at regular wood pellets..... :p
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Normally no glues in a pellet. the shiny surface you see is the lignin in the wood, that coats and seals the pellet during the Extrusion process. The heat and pressure involved is what causeds this "Case" to be formed.
  10. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    X2 there is no additives or glues in pellets, just all sawdust with no dirty bark either. So it is just like Diet Coke, No nutritional value!! LOL

Attached Files:

11. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    My dog loves the stinky roll also...This year, dead frogs seem to be her favorite!
  12. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

He must like RUFFage !!

Sorry I could not resist...
    Mike
  13. JHASS

JHASS Member

Loc:
    Jersey Pines
    Must be the NEW health food. My 2 year old son must think he needs more fiber in his diet because
    every chance he gets he grabs a hand full and starts to eat them. No side affects yet, not sprouting any
    limbs or foliage.
  14. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA

Splinters!!!!!! Ouch....
  15. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Be a little careful with the pets. Too many and they will get blocked up and/or dehydrated, as everyone know they swell up quite a bit when they get wet.
  16. BIGISLANDHIKERS

BIGISLANDHIKERS Feeling the Heat

Good point
  17. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    My Shih Tzu has eaten them and has also
    gotten blocked up and sick and she didn't
    eat that many but they can be very dangerous
    if ingested especially by a small dog.
    I vac the floor all around and behind
    the stove after I fill it but my brother isn't
    as thorough.

[​IMG]
  18. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    The labels on the bag clearly state not for human or animal consumption. I would scold the dog and not let him eat them if possible.
  19. milliburner

milliburner Member

Loc:
    Magic City, Northern Maine
    The pellets didn't plug up pug, he kept them down just long enough to bring them back up in the other room... He hasn't tried to eat any of the birch or maple I've got stacked up though.
  20. bigruckus

bigruckus Member

Loc:

I've notice sawdust all around the house...I think she ( dog)..chews them up then spits them out...then we walk on them and we have sawdust all over the house...my wife thinks I'm tracking it in from the basement shop...
  21. Casie

Casie New Member

Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    I would strongly advise anyone who has a dog to keep them from eating pellets.

I know you might say your dog has done it for years, never had a problem ect...

If it does happen, it's awful to see, painful to the dog, a good chunk of change if you have to get your dog into emergency surgery, and you run a high risk of loosing your pal. You guys know what happens when you throw a bunch of pellets into a bowl of water? Not pretty when it happens in your dog's stomach.

Keep Fido on the dog kibble. I hate to see anyone loose a dog to something preventable.
    Good luck.
  22. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I used to work at a plant that made cellulose floc out of ground paper. One of the major customers was Ralston Purina. They actually bought the process when the company closed it down. Folks like to overfeed their animals so adding floc bulks up the food without adding calories (plus its cheap).

Some of the high end dog food will discreetly advertise that their food will prodcue less dog waste. Bascially they have a lower serving size and dont add floc.