Can you have too much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Im starting to think I've got a addiction or a hoarding issue. The wood keeps coming in without much work, which is a major blessing. Its hard to turn down such easy pickings, when they come my way. The driveway had to get readjusted and I started to put some down at the edge of the property. Yesterday, I got a load of Pin Oak, all bucked to about 16" and sitting at the curb from my tree trimmer. But today, I got off work thinking I would get to relax a little. Well just down the road, I spotted a tree company with a big box truck and shredder. I had to go check it out. What... What.... A great score hopefully, seeing that bright Yellow (Hedge) wood sticking my way. As I pull up and ask if I could get some of that wood off there hands. He response Hedge or Black Locust. Since I've got all the access to Hedge that I ever want, and I dont have any of this Black Locust that you all are talking about. So I filled up the back of the Ranger and went home to get my Chevy, which I filled it up too. I really wanted the big cuts, but they where heavy and would not splitt. I tried to split them with my Wedges and my Sledge hammer, but they just bounced off and laughed. Must be some tough stuff.

The bucked wood ready for the splitter.
393d8a0a.jpg

5965f62d.jpg

My Chevy

9266ad7f.jpg

My Ranger

3f624e10.jpg

No.

To quote BB, "he who dies with the most wood wins".

That'd be Dennis %-P

Nice score u will always be searching for locust. ..once u get a taste of burning it

Bottom pic with the pinkish-orange wood is Honey Locust,flattish plates on bark is a easy clue.Looks like there's a thorn or two also.

Excellent fuel,one of the best.Very close to its distant cousin Black Locust.

Hedge as in Osage orange? Hedge is higher (low 30's) in btu's than locust (upper 20's). I have about 1 1/2 cord of black locust and feel smug about my last years supply. If I had hedge all around me I would feel like the kid who stole the whole candy jar. Of course I would feel that way with locust too. By the way yes you can have too much firewood but only if don't use it for heat. :)

chvymn99 said:
Im starting to think I've got a addiction or a hoarding issue.

Stop listening to whoever is putting that idea in your head. Nice score.

Too much wood? NO, perhaps a temporary overly abundant supply but, NEVER , NEVER enough.

Only if it lasts 4 hours then you should see a doctor (or a nurse)

Thistle said:
Bottom pic with the pinkish-orange wood is Honey Locust,flattish plates on bark is a easy clue.Looks like there's a thorn or two also.

Excellent fuel,one of the best.Very close to its distant cousin Black Locust.

Good Call, I guess I should have verified that it was, what he said it was. I doubled up with verification with Leafsnap after you mention it. The smaller leaf pattern is also a good clue. Thanks

Cave2k said:
Hedge as in Osage orange? Hedge is higher (low 30's) in btu's than locust (upper 20's). I have about 1 1/2 cord of black locust and feel smug about my last years supply. If I had hedge all around me I would feel like the kid who stole the whole candy jar. Of course I would feel that way with locust too. By the way yes you can have too much firewood but only if don't use it for heat. :)

Yep, Hedge/Osage Orange/Monkey Ball Tree. Yes, I'll get all that I want this winter, when we resume cutting the Hedge row. But I wanted another wood to offset my Hedge supply. And the way everyone was talking about Locust, I wanted a piece of that pie.

Can you have too much wood . . . nah . . . whatever wood you do not burn this year is next year's wood . . . or the year thereafter . . . it's always better to have more than you think you need.

No one every complains about having too much wood in the middle or end of winter . . . far more people have posts here in February or March saying they're almost out of wood.

And then there is the whole idea of getting ahead so you can just work a little at a time on the wood for coming years -- the wood is better seasoned -- and if something happens to you which prevents you from working on the wood (i.e. you fall off the roof and break your back, get sick, crash an ATV, etc.) then you're ahead of the game.

if you're losing sleep over it, bring it over to my driveway. i'll make my wife park in the stream if i need more room.

yes you have too much wood, ship that hedge to me and Ill take care of your problem!

Never too much wood.

If you have nowhere else to stack, and you get more wood, that's too much. :cheese:

When you start to stack it in the kitchen cupboard because of the lack of room outside - then you have too much wood.

Too much wood exists only in theory, but can never actually happen. Kinda like time travel.

I don't know guys, our softwoods have a shelf life it seems. They definitely have a prime seasoned age at about 2 years CSS. I have sold off multiple cords of excess and boy do they feel light when surplused.

I stop looking for trees to fall after I have two years of wood put up. If it falls down, or if I am bored then I will put up some more wood with plans to surplus it but I won't intentionally put up three years of wood for my own use.

The photos from the OP don't show a problem, just getting started on your supply. Here's a photo of my stack a few years ago. Still working on that row.

Attachments

• wood2s.jpg
    wood2s.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 876
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
No.

To quote BB, "he who dies with the most wood wins".

That'd be Dennis %-P

Na, that would be Solar or Zap. Our supply is down a bit. We do have a few years worth on hand though. Might sell a bit more this year but hope to cut a bunch too. Maybe we can get 10 years ahead?

It is difficult to get too much wood. In 50+ years I've never seen anyone with that problem.

Highbeam said:
The photos from the OP don't show a problem, just getting started on your supply. Here's a photo of my stack a few years ago. Still working on that row.

Well, yes and no, that's just my next round for splitting. I've got 6 cords ready for this, 2ish split on the gravel, and probably 4 that needs cut & split. In reality, I've been very blessed with all this wood. It's really hard to beat just picking up at curbside. But I don't know how much I'll use, since from Jan. 1 to April I only burnt about 1 cord. So I'm figuring about 2 to no more than 3 cords per years. So now I'm about 3-4 years supply, in theory. I guess the one good point of being this way is I can now pick & choose what wood I want.

Well I haven't officially ran out of room yet, but getting within a couple of cords worth. I just need to organize and maneuver more to the base of my property. Out of sight out of mind for the city and the one neighbor..... I need to get some more skids to help keep things keep off the ground.

lukem said:
Too much wood exists only in theory, but can never actually happen. Kinda like time travel.
Just think, if time travel was possible, we could transport our split Oak back to 2006... :cheese:

hedge and black locust, thats a pile of some nice wood.

I believe thistle is right - you got Honey Locust, not Black Locust. It doesn't make a big difference in terms of BTUs, but I don't think Honey Locust has the same rot resistance as Black Locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.