Can you hear an air leak on a Jotul F600?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron34422

Jul 25, 2011
Texas Hill Country
Yes you can!...loaded this morning from a cold start...cracked the side door 1/4 " like usual until the wood gets totally involved...leaned down to shut the door and heard a slight whistling sound near the top corner of the door...ran my thumb around the door checking for a leak but the sound continued...moving my thumb above the top of door near the right front corner and the sound stopped...(see photo)...there's a small decorative gap in the casting from the top of the stove to the door that's about 1/4" wide...struck a match and slid the flame along the gap and the air would suck the flame toward the stove and would blow the flame out...I decided on a quick fix and stuffed an old piece of door gasket in the gap to plug the leak...must have been leaking since I got the stove in August because the primary air is bit more sensitive now...I'll have to check on the inside when I get time and see what's going on...maybe some missing stove cement?...Are there any other F600 owners that have found any air leaks?

Attachments

• P8160257.jpg
    P8160257.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 380
When we first got our F600 and was unpacking it outside I capped the outlet and tossed a few wadded up sheets of lit newspaper into it.
The smoke filled the stove then started leaking out at numerous locations.
I noted leaks around all doors, where the top meets the sides, at the air control lever, and elsewhere.

When we bought our F500 years later the first thing I did was partially disassemble it, clean the flash off the castings at the seams, and seal up the leaks that I could.
I posted photos of the process here about 3 years ago.

That is the exact spot that was leaky on mine. I stuffed some cement in there last year and it's been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.