Can You Help Identify this Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchbfj

Oct 10, 2010
Northern Ontario
I wanted to get a new insert this year, but can't afford it unfortunately. So I've been looking at older used inserts.
I came across one for $100. The guy doesn't know anything about it. There are no identifying marks on it whatsoever.
The WxHxD is (I think) 26x21x18.

It's in great shape and it fits. The issue is that it needs to be identified and the UL/CSA approval needs to be confirmed for my insurance to be okay with it.

So can anyone possibly i.d. this stove?

Sorry the video is crap...

Here's a still from it...

insert.jpg

Hi jchbfj,
I can’t help you regarding the identity for this unit. But, since you’re looking for a unit that will give some great “bang for your money”, I will recommend you take a look at the Century Heating brand. They have an insert called the CW2500, that usually retails for less than $1000. This is a Canadian manufactured product with some great efficiency. Keep in mind that, regardless of your choice, you do are putting a fire in your living room, and a cheap new modern stove is definitely better and safer than any used one you can find. The new safety and emission standards for solid fuels appliances will assure that you will use at least 30% less wood to obtain the same heat output. Last but not least, the Century Heating brand has a secondary combustion technology that is catalyst free, so you won’t need to replace any part of the stove on a regular basis to ensure good performance. Let me know if you wish to have more information on this brand. All the best!

Pretty sure that's an EPA Listed CFM stove. CFM does their doors like that.
MIght be a pretty decent one, does not appear to be mistreated or anything. Does the blower work?
They are not really high dollar used stoves so that's a pretty nice price.

Update... The WETT inspector returned my call about the legalities of installing this stove.
He says it's probably not insurable unless it can be positively identified.

He did mention that he knows someone with a Regency 2400 insert (which is what I originally wanted to buy new). It's barely been used, it's 6 years old, and they only want $700 for it. The inspector will deliver it for $50 and inspect it for $150. I think that's sound like a much better course of action now...

jchbfj said:
Update... The WETT inspector returned my call about the legalities of installing this stove.

He did mention that he knows someone with a Regency 2400 insert (which is what I originally wanted to buy new). It's barely been used, it's 6 years old, and they only want $700 for it. The inspector will deliver it for $50 and inspect it for $150. I think that's sound like a much better course of action now...

If you can afford the regency that's awesome!

jchbfj said:

Sounds like the inspector is a good businessman. ;-)

If the stove really is low usage, that is a nice deal, especially at this time of year. What I am not clear on is the inspection fee. Is this for cleaning and inspecting your chimney?

My insurance company requires the installation (which I'm doing myself) to be WETT certified.

This guy -- maybe inspector wasn't the right word -- does installations and WETT certifications and is a former fire inspector.

So the $150 is for the WETT certification... which is good... the going rate locally is $300.

Every stove installed in Canada requires certification by a WETT certified inspector. Most are sweeps and installers. It is gonna happen in the U.S. someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.