Can you help me make a choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuff29

Dec 18, 2010
Denver, CO
We went to get our fireplace cleaned out and the guy said it was cracked and unsafe to use...so time to get an insert. At first i was going to go with pellet, but now have decided for a wood stove. I live in a Ranch style home (2,200 sq ft) with basement. The insert will be in the basement so I will have to think of a way to get the air pushed up the stairs but that's another topic.

My wife and I really like the quality of the Revere but the cost (3k) is incredibly steep. Most of the local stores in the Denver, Colorado area didn't know much about what they were selling so that didn't help. The only other place really pushed for the Napoleon 1402 and he gave us a price with install and piping to be $2,600. I didn't know about the Republic 1750i as it was not in our locals showroom, should I push for that instead of the Revere?

What are the pros cons of the Napoleon? vs the Revere/Republic?

Thanks!

Peak season pricing it tough. The Revere is a good insert, but it's not gold plated unique. The Napoleon should work well. It's a good insert with several satisfied owners here. Pro = costs less. That's a decent price for stove + installation. The Lopi 1750i would also be a good choice in a medium sized insert. Call around to all listed dealers in your area for comparison pricing.

No, you're correct I have been to 5 stores but only one company has Lopi brand. And honestly i went to every store above except for the last one plus a few others. My problem was nobody knew much about wood inserts. You ask about gas inserts and they were all over that. From the ones I have visited the quadrafire 3100 or 4100, Napoleon 1402, and Lopi Revere have all caught my interest.

Quads
-I like the large view
-cheaper than the lopi
- high efficiency
-price to an extent

Lopi
- build quality (bent steel)
- The signature door
- efficiency
- N-S loading ability

Napoleon
- Cheaper
- "lifetime warranty"
- Seems well built despite all the welds

Honestly the other brands may be great as well, but nobody sold me on them they just pointed a finger and said this is what we have.

The 1750i insert is a good stove and priced very competitively. Is the 3K for the Revere the price for just the stove and blower/surround? You should be able to get a 1750i (stove + door + blower + surround - if you even want the surround - for just over 2000. Some on here have gotten them for less, but that's the usual MSRP that they sell for normally.

I am very pleased with my Napoleon and that is a great price for an installed 1402. As you have said there are a lot of good quality inserts out there, I would narrow it down to a few then go where you can get support ie. a good reliable dealer.

Skinn's right. Find a good dealer' find a good product. Do any do installs and repairs? How do they handle warranty service?

Status
Not open for further replies.