Can you identify this insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
Can anyone identify this stove and possibly come up with a model number? The seller said he thinks its a Lopi. Thanks.

Attachments

• lopi95.jpg
    lopi95.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 933
  • lopi295.jpg
    lopi295.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,697
THEMAN said:
Can anyone identify this stove and possibly come up with a model number? The seller said he thinks its a Lopi. Thanks.

It is a Lopi for sure, and you can read it at the bottom of the doors. I have been looking at a lot of the old ones this week while trying to figure out something I was looking at. Yours looks just like this one:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41365/P0/

Something I saw called one an LX model, or a "flex" model, or a few other names. These seem to be quite good stoves and some of the old models from the 80s are apparently on the current EPA list, even. They seem to hold value pretty well
http://www.usedwoodburners.com/STOVES_FOR_SALE.php

And that one looks in nice shape. Definitely not a current model or anything, I think those with the double doors are pretty old, but looks quite nice if the price is right... If you can see the back or side there will be a label that probably has the model number and date and all.

tickbitty said:
THEMAN said:

It is a Lopi for sure, and you can read it at the bottom of the doors. I have been looking at a lot of the old ones this week while trying to figure out something I was looking at. Yours looks just like this one:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41365/P0/

Something I saw called one an LX model, or a "flex" model, or a few other names. These seem to be quite good stoves and some of the old models from the 80s are apparently on the current EPA list, even. They seem to hold value pretty well
http://www.usedwoodburners.com/STOVES_FOR_SALE.php

And that one looks in nice shape. Definitely not a current model or anything, I think those with the double doors are pretty old, but looks quite nice if the price is right... If you can see the back or side there will be a label that probably has the model number and date and all.

He says he cant find a label or tag anywhere on it. What I really want to know is if it is EPA PHASE II or not. It looks a lot like the stove in the first pic and that guy mentions that it is not EPA cert. I attached a pic of the stove open it seems to have a baffle somewhat larger than the stove in the post above so I wonder if its the lopi EX that they is mentioned in the post. If its not EPA cert. I may have to pass on it. Not only that, but on the min requirements it states that it needs a 36" front combustible clearance. That's pretty long I only have 16" on my hearth, and the hearth in the pic doesn't seem to be 36" to me and the guy says it was in the house when he bought it and that they have used it a lot (I can see the use and lack of cleaning from the pic haha). He said his house was built in 1976 but don't know when the stove was put in. Shame nice stove and great price too.

Attachments

• lopi open.jpg
    lopi open.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,058
Maybe you could send a PM to "Carbon Liberator" and bring his attention to your thread? Or possibly I guess take his model and serial number and call Lopi or a dealer to ask them what that model is? Says SX_
Looks like they had several old models in that phase. THe company wasn't in business until I think '79 so it's maybe an 80s stove? I looked at an old (and BEAT "Lopi X" of some kind the night before last, and it did not look like yours in the interior. It had, right inside the arched door, a screen like covering that was part of the system, it had tubes and early airwash kind of thing from the mid 80s. The glass was very clear. Your glass isn't too clear on that one and I don't see the working parts so I guess this is not an EPA stove. Too bad!
(pics at the bottom of this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43918/

tickbitty said:
Maybe you could send a PM to "Carbon Liberator" and bring his attention to your thread? Or possibly I guess take his model and serial number and call Lopi or a dealer to ask them what that model is? Says SX_
Looks like they had several old models in that phase. THe company wasn't in business until I think '79 so it's maybe an 80s stove? I looked at an old (and BEAT "Lopi X" of some kind the night before last, and it did not look like yours in the interior. It had, right inside the arched door, a screen like covering that was part of the system, it had tubes and early airwash kind of thing from the mid 80s. The glass was very clear. Your glass isn't too clear on that one and I don't see the working parts so I guess this is not an EPA stove. Too bad!
(pics at the bottom of this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43918/

I'm not sure what to do I have a deal on a EPA II stove by buck model 91 and this stove for the same price $300. The only reason I was contemplating the lopi is that it is a good stove and I was hoping that the hearth requirement for this Lopi is less than the Buck stove (24in). My hearth is only 16 inches which seems to be the same as the hearth that the lopi is sitting on in the pics. The lopi may do ok with my hearth but not EPA II. The Buck is EPA II but requires a larger hearth. Hmm decisions, decisions. I also already have an old Ponderosa stove that just needs firebrick and its ready to go, only problem with that one is that it has no fan.

THEMAN said:
tickbitty said:

I'm not sure what to do I have a deal on a EPA II stove by buck model 91 and this stove for the same price $300. The only reason I was contemplating the lopi is that it is a good stove and I was hoping that the hearth requirement for this Lopi is less than the Buck stove (24in). My hearth is only 16 inches which seems to be the same as the hearth that the lopi is sitting on in the pics. The lopi may do ok with my hearth but not EPA II. The Buck is EPA II but requires a larger hearth. Hmm decisions, decisions. I also already have an old Ponderosa stove that just needs firebrick and its ready to go, only problem with that one is that it has no fan.

I'd go for the buck stove. It's bound to be a lot newer and you want an EPA stove. The old ones are tempting if in nice shape by a good maker but still "smoke dragons" after all, right? Plus I really doubt that the hearth requirements are less (by much anyway) with the Lopi, it's just that they are unknown. The folks who have been using it probably don't have what's really required. It seems that a lot of folks here get a rectangular hearth pad that they just put in front of their regular hearth during the burning months, so you don't really have to modify the hearth to get those extra inches.

tickbitty said:
[It seems that a lot of folks here get a rectangular hearth pad that they just put in front of their regular hearth during the burning months, so you don’t really have to modify the hearth to get those extra inches.

So a hearth pad purchased or made is all I would need? Just lay it over the carpet in front of the existing hearth, and that should suffice?

THEMAN said:
tickbitty said:
[It seems that a lot of folks here get a rectangular hearth pad that they just put in front of their regular hearth during the burning months, so you don’t really have to modify the hearth to get those extra inches.

So a hearth pad purchased or made is all I would need? Just lay it over the carpet in front of the existing hearth, and that should suffice?

I believe so, I see them in people's pics in here all the time and most of the manufacturers who make hearth pads make them!
(I'm probably going to have to get one too, my hearth is only 18")
http://www.americanpanelhearth.com/Product Line/images/Extension Carmel 8948sm_ext.jpg

tickbitty said:

Those extension pads seem pretty thin. Are they simply for ember protection? Everything that I have read on hear states that you need a particular "R" rating for the hearth and extension so that it protects from the heat of the stove/insert. One post even put out a list of how thick material had to be to suffice as protection, and if I recall correctly using simple ceramic tile it had to be like 15 inches thick of tile. Now that is just ridiculous. I have carpet over cement slab in front and around the hearth and I was hoping that an extension as you mention would be sufficient but I'm pretty confused with all of the "advice" that I keep reading here, in regards to thickness/R value/protection of the hearth extensions, that I'm not sure if I need to tear up the carpet and lay down more brick to extend the hearth or if a simple 1-2 inch extension will work.

I'll back off and wait for the experts to answer (they are all out cutting wood right now I bet) because I see where there would be some confusion there.
I believe that the front area would be more for embers as well as heat or if you drop a log on it or something... so I don't think it needs to truly support the stove, just be "non combustible." It may also have to do with whether you have a raised or flush hearth.

The hearth is raised the height of the brick. As far as the extension goes it will be sitting on top of the carpet in front of said brick hearth. This is why I'm not sure if a simple extension will protect the carpet under it from catching fire from the radiant heat of the insert. I really don't understand why it wouldn't. I mean the hearth under free standing stoves doesn't extend 24 inches from the end so why would a insert require such a length? I'm sure that the fact that the stove is on legs and further away from the hearth may have something to do with it but in the insert scenario the insert is on the brick, partially in the fireplace, so I wouldn't think it would need that much protection in front. I am so new to this and the learning curve is steep but I'm trying to climb it! Funny you say about the wood cutting, I did that yesterday. still have 1/2 cord to split haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.