Can you start a Harmon with a propane torch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought used and nearest dealer is 150+miles. To busy to turn on a switch? Harman should be monitoring site for bum dealers. Its thier reputation as well.

Reactions: P38X2
Next we will giving rocket fuel formulas for instant heatups.
Rocket fuel isn't a good choice. It burns smokey unless you have a liquid oxygen feed. Oops, did I say that out loud?

You have to use mixes with hexamine, trioxane etc. Don't want the pellet pigs following the smoke back to your stash.

Reactions: heat seeker
It definitely sux that your salesman is an idiot and he's your only option. I can't believe he obviously couldn't care less about selling you a stove. Don't burn any bridges yet but I HIGHLY suggest you talk to the owner...who quite likely is also an idiot, considering he's unaware of his employees stupidity.

HOWEVER, I would not hesitate to buy a Harman. How far is the next closest dealer? Perhaps purchase the stove from them and use your local place for parts..... or just order online. I hate to suggest it, but if yer next closest dealer is a million miles away and you've settled on a Harman, just buy it from your local dealer.

There's a bunch of very knowledgeable peeps on the forum that can assist you in installing OR double checking the dealers work.

I hesitate to use the word 'idiot' but I am willing to say that this salesman is not acting in his own self interest.

On our first visit with him, I stated that, "There is nothing about our current fireplace that I like. I don't like how it works, I don't like how it looks, I don't like the masonry around it, I don't like the mantel above it, and I don't like the hearth in front of it. I want to do a complete demolition of the fireplace, hearth, and mantel. The only component I would consider keeping would be the flu."

Any sales person should immediately see a potential boat payment and go with the flow. This guy ignored virtually everything I said and steered us to some sort of high tech gas logs that he claimed would be 25% efficient. Granted, a positive 25% is a whale of a lot better than whatever the negative efficiency we get now, but the logs didn't solve any of the other problems I listed. When I pushed back, he got a little arrogant and said, "Well, we are happy to take your money if you want something more expensive but really, I think these logs are your best option."

To answer your question, there is exactly one Harmon dealer in the KC area. The others in Missouri are a hundred miles away. There is also exactly one Quadra-Fire dealer. The Harmon dealer is also a BBQ place. They sell grills, sauce and other BBQ stuff. The Quadra-Fire dealer sells siding, windows, countertops.

I realize that these folks just sell stuff and the proof of the pudding is in installation and service. I will be contacting Harmon to see who would perform those functions around here.

Starter Squares from Rutland,... break off a square (they're bout the size of a half dollar),.. light it,.. throw it in the burn pot,... turn stove on,... walk away.

Attachments

• 1117121206.jpg
    1117121206.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 152
I hesitate to use the word 'idiot' but I am willing to say that this salesman is not acting in his own self interest.

On our first visit with him, I stated that, "There is nothing about our current fireplace that I like. I don't like how it works, I don't like how it looks, I don't like the masonry around it, I don't like the mantel above it, and I don't like the hearth in front of it. I want to do a complete demolition of the fireplace, hearth, and mantel. The only component I would consider keeping would be the flu."

Any sales person should immediately see a potential boat payment and go with the flow. This guy ignored virtually everything I said and steered us to some sort of high tech gas logs that he claimed would be 25% efficient. Granted, a positive 25% is a whale of a lot better than whatever the negative efficiency we get now, but the logs didn't solve any of the other problems I listed. When I pushed back, he got a little arrogant and said, "Well, we are happy to take your money if you want something more expensive but really, I think these logs are your best option."

To answer your question, there is exactly one Harmon dealer in the KC area. The others in Missouri are a hundred miles away. There is also exactly one Quadra-Fire dealer. The Harmon dealer is also a BBQ place. They sell grills, sauce and other BBQ stuff. The Quadra-Fire dealer sells siding, windows, countertops.

I realize that these folks just sell stuff and the proof of the pudding is in installation and service. I will be contacting Harmon to see who would perform those functions around here.

Are there any other dealers of different brands in your area? Perhaps that is an option?

Might be worth a shot asking the dealer in MO if they'll offer a better deal in order to offset furl costs?....assuming you have a vehicle to pick up the stove. Explain your situation to them.

As far as installation goes, I'd assume you could contact another fireplace dealer and they could get it hooked up for you.

Just some options.

Thanks to all that responded. I found a Harman (note the spelling :)) dealer in Missouri that is much more to my liking. The start of the conversation was interesting:

Me: I'm interesting in Harman Stoves .....
Him: Where do you live?
Me: Southern Overland Park, KS
Him: You know that there is a large dealer just a few miles from you (he gets points for honesty).
Me: Yes I do.... And yet, I am talking to you....
Him: (long pause) Oh (he says, knowingly)

I got great answers from him. I think he will be my dealer in spite of the distance. He told me about some of the attributes of the Harman that I didn't know:
1. When you install the thing, you install a box and the whole unit slide into it.
2. You can get service rails so that you can slide the whole insert out of the box and gain access to everything.

I'm a pretty handy guy and he claims that he can talk me through most repairs. He also claims that Harmans don't need many repairs.

Nice :) Glad you took the time to check it out and look forward to the install pix.

The Harman gurus on the forum are likely all you'll need for maintenance assistance ;)

Good luck. I hate unknowing and uncaring sales personel. Now I have to see if anybody knows about startup pumps.

used a torch for like 3 years... I haven't had to buy a new propane tank yet... feel like the best value for me. No silly mixing. put the torch on a pile of pellets in the hopper, apply torch, wait 2-3 minutes.. done.

used a torch for like 3 years... I haven't had to buy a new propane tank yet... feel like the best value for me. No silly mixing. put the torch on a pile of pellets in the hopper, apply torch, wait 2-3 minutes.. done.
x2.5... I nuke the pellets in the burn pot - hopper might get a little smokey... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.