Can you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a lot of us do just that to get rid of less desireable pellets. You can mix pellets and corn also.

Yep. If you get a $h!tty pellet, you can mix them to whatever ratio you want. Just to get rid of them.

yes , I have already mixed lignetics pellets with cherry pits in my biomass stove . Cherry pits seem to have a lower btu rating in my opion so i did not want to burn them alone just wanted them gone. but mixing pellets is ok if thats your thing.

As you can see, on these forums it's also possible to mix reasonable responses with hossthehermit's responses. :lol:

Heck, we had dog food with bugs in it. We mixed it in with our pellets. Problem solved.

BIH

fossil said:
As you can see, on these forums it's also possible to mix reasonable responses with hossthehermit's responses. :lol:

Let us look into hossthehermit's response and we may see that indeed under some circumstances it is the correct response.

If the device manufacturer says premium or better wood pellets only, and you go mixing standard or utility pellets you are no longer following the device manufacturer's instruction and may invalidate the warranty.

Just be sure to do all of your mixing in an approved manner.

Besides as hossthehermit said he has a rep to downhold ;-).

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Heck, we had dog food with bugs in it. We mixed it in with our pellets. Problem solved.

BIH

I see a new thread on the horizon. "What's the best burning dog food for my stove?"

SubMech said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH

I see a new thread on the horizon. "What's the best burning dog food for my stove?"
You might have hit on something, WalMart has a store brand that is mostly corn. Good for pigs, cows, ? multifuel stoves, but not at all good for dogs, They don't digest it well, and have to eat huge amount to get any food value from it. Makes for a lot of yard clean up. Also now known as "shovel ready Jobs"

SmokeyTheBear said:
fossil said:

Let us look into hossthehermit's response and we may see that indeed under some circumstances it is the correct response.

If the device manufacturer says premium or better wood pellets only, and you go mixing standard or utility pellets you are no longer following the device manufacturer's instruction and may invalidate the warranty.

Hello

Some manufactures like my stove states I can use a 50/50 corn/pellet mix because the burn pot is a multi-fuel burn pot. However you also need to check your pellet venting to see if it is rated for higher temps when using multi-fuels!

Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
fossil said:

Hello

Some manufactures like my stove states I can use a 50/50 corn/pellet mix because the burn pot is a multi-fuel burn pot. However you also need to check your pellet venting to see if it is rated for higher temps when using multi-fuels!

Its not the higher temps you need to worry about. Corn and other multifuels have more corrosives(like acids) in the exhaust gasses. If you don't have the correct liner you could damage it. Safety first!

SmokeyTheBear said:
fossil said:
As you can see, on these forums it's also possible to mix reasonable responses with hossthehermit responses. :lol:

Let us look into hossthehermit response and we may see that indeed under some circumstances it is the correct response.

Oh dear,

I have alerted the Pellet Police and they are assembling a strike team as we speak. This is backed up by the PFI and Green Peace. The Bob Barker is en route from Whale Wars, now renamed Pellet Violators.

You started something that can not be stopped.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
fossil said:
As you can see, on these forums it's also possible to mix reasonable responses with hossthehermit responses. :lol:

Let us look into hossthehermit response and we may see that indeed under some circumstances it is the correct response.

Oh dear,

I have alerted the Pellet Police and they are assembling a strike team as we speak. This is backed up by the PFI and Green Peace. The Bob Barker is en route from Whale Wars, now renamed Pellet Violators.

You started something that can not be stopped.

Eric

Hey,

Why don't you get out a soldering iron, some solder wick, a pile of triacs and fix those Breckwell control boards and leave the Pellet Police alone.

Bob Barker and the international pirates can take a hike as well.

OOOOOHHHHHHH I just can't let this one get buy without saying something.

The materials printed in the owners manual that is provided by the manufacture is there for a few different reasons.

One, the company is always going to cover their BUTTTTTTTT's really good, so they test their stoves and will usually recommend " Premium" Pellets just to stop complaints and whining about CLINKERS and other issues.

There is such a disparity of types and grades of Pellets out there all across the country (world) and the company simply can't test their stove with each and every brand and grade.

Recommending the use of premium pellets will eliminate a whole host of user complaints that are directly related to the fuel quality.

Now with this said.

I own two whitfield Pellet stoves, One Advantage 2 and one Prodigy 2
The book says to use premium quality Pellets

I run both these stoves on crushed Hazel nut shells and have for some time.
I have used the shells in several stoves since 1992 or so.

The fact is simple, if you know what your doing, understand how the stove works and can do a little tweeking in the adjustments (Read this as being willing to do these things) the stoves work quite well with the only caviat being the need to clean the fly ash more often and in the case of my little Prodigy, clearing the fire pot twice during the day with a quick swish using a custom made "Pot swisher tool" (Technically called a long handled putty knife)

Soooooo, using the different wood pellets or mixing or adding dog food or compressed news paper pellets or just about anything else that will easily feed through the thing and burn is doable.

I would recommend that for most people who are not into messing with the stove to a great extent and don't want any hastle, USE THE STUFF THE MANUFACTURE SAYS TO USE.

Warranty is always an issue. If you trash your stove trying to run home made pellets made with 50/50 asphalt and leaves it may be an issue if the thing quits and you want the manufacture to fix it.

We have a local stove shop that has several new stoves out that the folks run shells in as I do and the shop owner tells me that nobody has ever had any issues. I knew this trick long before this gal ever opened her store, but thats here nor there.

To answer the original question, Mix and match, and enjoy the fire, but be aware of how your stove is burning and adjust and clean accordingly.

If you find some pellets that don't work as well, DONT BUY ANY MORE OF THEM.

Its a good idea when buying a different brand, one that you have not used previously, to try a bag and see how well they work before getting a Pallet load.

We also own a Quadrafire 1000 and its been here since 1994 and it has happily burned every brand of pellet that I have dumped in it.

Some do burn cleaner for sure, but no big deal.

Have fun and stay warm

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.