Canadian code clarification for REAR ember protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burninwood

Nov 29, 2016
Canada
Just to be clear on Canadian code for hearth pad / ember protection at the REAR of the stove:

The ember protection must extend 8 inches from the rear of the unit, even if the clearance to combustibles for the specific heater is less than this. For instance, if the rear of the stove allows for 7 inch clearance to combustibles, the stove would still have to be set back 8 inches from the wall (assuming that the hearth pad extends right to the wall).

Is this an accurate interpretation of what code calls for?

Thanks

No. if I'm reading you correctly you have it wrong.

B365-10 under ember protection in 8.1.3.2 clearly states 'Where an appliance is installed less than 200mm(8 in)from a wall, the ember pad need only extend to the base of the wall'.

I see no reference in the code to the rear of the stove regarding the ember pad it only addresses sides either with a door or without.

So I read it to mean the manufacturers certified clearances to a side or rear wall override the need for 8"s of ember pad for a side without a opening door. Which the rear of the stove would be one of.

Reactions: burninwood
As always. The authority having jurisdiction is who has the final say. So if you are pulling a permit and having an inspection. Check with them for interpretation. But that code reference should help them see it my way I would hope.

Reactions: burninwood
No. if I'm reading you correctly you have it wrong.

B365-10 under ember protection in 8.1.3.2 clearly states 'Where an appliance is installed less than 200mm(8 in)from a wall, the ember pad need only extend to the base of the wall'.

I see no reference in the code to the rear of the stove regarding the ember pad it only addresses sides either with a door or without.

So I read it to mean the manufacturers certified clearances to a side or rear wall override the need for 8"s of ember pad for a side without a opening door. Which the rear of the stove would be one of.

As always. The authority having jurisdiction is who has the final say. So if you are pulling a permit and having an inspection. Check with them for interpretation. But that code reference should help them see it my way I would hope.

Thanks for pointing this out, Squisher.

This is what I was hoping to hear and it seems most logical. I guess I should have referred to the actual code, not the clearances listed in the manuals, for proper interpretation.

I would say this is case closed - assuming local authorities say otherwise.

Thanks again and have a good night.

Reactions: Squisher