Canadian Tire moisture meter on sale. Any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby074

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2011
Nova Scotia
In order to fully diagnose my wood stove issues, ive been told i need a moisture meter. Ive did a bit of searching and most are pretty expensive (no harbor freight here). I included a picture as this may very well be the same meter available in the states, just in a different package. If it looks familiar, please comment.

Has anybody used the Canadian Tire meter? Its marked down from $79.99 to $23.99. Thats a price i can afford :D

Only issue i see is accuracy. Its range is 7-25% but the accuracy is +-5%. Is this accurate enough for firewood?

If its a good machine than this is a heck of a deal for Canadians to get a moisture meter cheap.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ercraft+Digital+Moisture+Reader.jsp?locale=en

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    meter.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 693
Don't know if they carry it up there but Lowes here carries on made by General for about $30 US.

That's her. It's pretty popular here on Hearth.com along with the Harbor Frieght models. I like mine but at almost twice the price? I'd prolly just go back to judging splits by appearance, weight and sound. Nice thing is mine will read up to 50%. Prolly isn't accurate but wet is wet ya know?

The meter in your post only reads up to 25%... If you get a reading at all your wood would be usable.

They had the same mm on sale at CT a couple of weeks ago. Of course none in stock at my local CT in Kemptville. However, I'm sort of glad they didn't have one, as on further reflection, I don't think it would have been all that useful. Especially only reading up to 25%.

I considered the CT one, but instead got one on Ebay for $16 with free shipping. Came right to my mailbox.

I didn't think much of the +/-5% thing - that means if it reads 20, it could be between 15 & 25.

I was leery of the one I got, but it seems to be pretty good - gives stable repeatable readings that seem to jive with what I was thinking the wood roughly was before I tested.

EDIT: Here's the one I got-

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280700742920&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123

Actually, if it has plus or minus five percent accuracy, that means that wood with 20 percent moisture content could read anywhere from 19-21 percent. That is well within the accuracy needed.

Thanks for the replys. After reading this thread im going to try and get the General model. I want the wider range.

I have the same reader & its max reading is 45%. I have been using it for about 5yrs & am quite happy with it. 5 years ago it was also on sale from 79.95 to 23.95 go figure!!!!

Diabel said:
I have the same reader & its max reading is 45%. I have been using it for about 5yrs & am quite happy with it. 5 years ago it was also on sale from 79.95 to 23.95 go figure!!!!

So it does, i read the description and it says "Detects only wood moisture content percentages: 7-25%, with accuracy +/-5% moisture content" but not that i look close at the picture it goes much higher.

Maybe they are saying that the 5% accuracy is only between 7 and 25 percent. Which would be plenty accurate, since if it's over 25% moisture, you don't need to worry about precision anyway.

I have the CT meter (somewhere) I used it for a bit then just went and got a bunch of years ahead on my firewood. Have not really even thought about using it for a couple years. I don't know if it was accurate but it did seem to be consistent, if that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.