Canadian v. Maine Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltair

Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
Eastern ME
Is anybody else finding Canadian pellets to be far superior to any Maine product. I have burned Athens, Corinth Hardwood, and Corinth Softwood from Maine, and Homewood, Cubix, Comfy Cozy, and Fireside Ultra's all from Canada. The Corinth softwood pellets were last years and inconsistant. Some bags burned great and others were dirty and made clinkers. I have a ton of Corinth Hardwoods that are better than Athens, but they have a lot of ash and I cant get them to stop building clinkers. All the Canadian pellets have burned clean with minimal ash and no clinkers. There has been some variation in heat output. I have a bag of Fireside Ultra's going tonight that may be the hotest pellet I have burned yet. Cubix and Homewood burns well, and the comfy cozy's are not my favorite but better than corinth. Is anybody else having similar experience? For what its worth I have a napoleon NPI40. Maybe the Canadian Stove just likes Canadian Pellets :)

I can't speak for Maine pellets, as I've only burned one pellet so far (other than a few bags of Lignetics, before I had any idea who to run my stove).
My pellets are Eagle Valley, from B.C., and I can say that after burning about 30 bags?...I still don't know what a "clinker" is, having never had one.

Jim

thats what im running is the eagles and they are very nice, Ive also burnt michigans and they stink.

I have a Napoleon stove, and burn exergex pellets. I get a clinker in the burn pot about every other day. Looks like a clump of cat litter with holes in it. Very little ash. Have burned a ton an a half and only a small bucket of ash collected from the ash drawer in the bottom of the stove. Did notice a small amount of ash on the ground just the below the outside vent. From what I have been reading, I think I am getting a lot of heat from these pellets.

Here are some readings i took off my Enviro, all pellets were Canadian,tonite i just purchased a pallet of (Green Heat Pellets) plus 2 bags,gonna try the 2 bags over next 2 days and record Heat output and Ash content,then i'll be able to say yeah, Maine pellets stink, lol. But in all fairness right now there putting out approx 345 Degree's F on High,among the top Pellets i have tested.One downfall i see on opening the bag is very inconsistant pellet lenth(Looks like Cozy Comfy)straglers in the 2 inch range, and a slight odor of Cat Pee, prob mostly Spruce i'm guessing,so far unless theres 3 cups ash/Bag, they'll do just fine, but price is a Rip-off at $6.99 /Bag-Canadian.As of Today only 10 Pallets available at Weibs Home Hardware-Centerville New Brunswick
Cozy Comfy(Kent Bld Prod)Rated --T for Terrible--2 inces long average,High Ash,Low Heat,Price $5.99/Bag Temp = 168 F @ Output tubes
Eastern Embers(Shaw Brick) High Ash,Low Heat,consistant size-----------------------------Price $5.50/bag Temp = 175 F @ Output tubes
LG granules (Quebec) Low Ash,Very Good heat output,consistant size of 3/4 inch Price $5.00/Bag Temp = 285 F @ output tubes
Lignetics-Hardwood-(Canadian Tire corp) Very High Ash,Great heat output, size 1/2"Pellet--Price $4.99/Bag Temp = 368 F @ output tubes
EnergeX-(Quebec-PA)--By Far My favorite,Lowest Ash,2nd Higest heat,Small Pellets 3/8"----Price $5.99/Bag Temp = 355 F @ output tubes
Green Heat Pellets (Maine) Good Runner-up,still testing them.Irregular Pellet sizes 1 inch average-Price $6.99/Bag Temp=341 F @ Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.